Bored female betta, what to do to help her?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
Our female betta that we have had since mid October 2014 is bored. She hangs out at the bottom a lot. We had some fake plants, she could care less. We got her a viking helmet decoration recently and it has a hole in the back and the front is open of course. She's been in it a few times, but, she doesn't seem to care about it much.

She also has a betta leaf, but, doesn't seem to care too much about it, uses it once in a while.

She's in a 5g Fluval Chi with an in-water aqueon filter, and a 50watt aqueon pro heater. No substrate (easier to keep clean) and 1 ramshorn snail which we are not sure we are going to keep keeping with her yet. She's been like this before we put the snail in, though.

She used to be in our 10g tank when we had that set up with the pygmys (who are now in the 20g tank that we have). We thought she was snacking on their tails/trying to get to them, so we got her her own tank, but then we lost another pygmy or two after she was out of the tank and their tails had gone missing before they died, and they were intact after we moved her. So that's a mystery and another story.

Anyway, so, I would love to have her in a bigger tank but we don't really have the room. The fluval chi works better for us because it is higher vertically and fits better in the location that we have her sitting on than a regular aqueon 5g tank does. I wish we could give her more horizontal space though, a 5g aqueon tank would be better for her in that regard but it is what it is.

We hate that she just hangs out on the bottom sometimes and feel bad that she seems so bored. Sometimes she hides near the filter too. She's an intelligent, inquisitive fish, and she gets way too excited about feeding time (she actually jumped out of her tank and landed on the floor one time, thank goodness she didn't die or suffer any injuries that we know of, it was about 5 ft that she fell) so we have to be really careful when feeding her now.

My question here is, any ideas on what we can do so she has more to do and is not so bored?

I am not at home so I will give you a link to what it looks like.

Parameters... we change almost all 5g once a week (leaving just enough for her to hang out in before we add fresh water). Every time I check for ammonia there is none. I don't test it regularly lately but I was at first and it was fine every week before we changed the water.

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/cache/media/bluemill/products/10505_Fluval-Chi-II-19L_1w400-h400.png

We stopped using the built in filter because it was weak and it aided in faster water evaporation. And the light sucked, kept not turning on/off correctly.

Just checked ammonia. It's perfect. Did a 4g pwc on 4/17.

Snail poop everywhere though (never knew how poopy they were!!!) so gonna vac and do a pwc tomorrow to get rid of poop!

Hi , I've had two female fighting fish before and to be totally honest they have awesome memories. If you had her in a larger tank once before with other species of fish she would have had a pecking order and it is almost a definant that she was queen bee. I also attempted taking my female out of a larger tank with others because I thought she hurt them ( long story short it wasn't her ) anyway she was very bored and sounds like your girls behaviour aswell. She is properly just used to the larger tank and more people around her. If you cannot provide near to the same environment she will always be slightly bored. Some things I would try is one of those floating mirrors for her to push around and play with. Also still things ( like ornaments ) won't catch her attention so try like a wind up plastic fish or a floating scoober diver .

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi , I've had two female fighting fish before and to be totally honest they have awesome memories. If you had her in a larger tank once before with other species of fish she would have had a pecking order and it is almost a definant that she was queen bee. I also attempted taking my female out of a larger tank with others because I thought she hurt them ( long story short it wasn't her ) anyway she was very bored and sounds like your girls behaviour aswell. She is properly just used to the larger tank and more people around her. If you cannot provide near to the same environment she will always be slightly bored. Some things I would try is one of those floating mirrors for her to push around and play with. Also still things ( like ornaments ) won't catch her attention so try like a wind up plastic fish or a floating scoober diver .

Edited, poorly worded post. I don't think the wind up fish is a very good idea.

Are you treating your water before water change. Are you using dechlorinator?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My point was if you don't want the fish being bored find an alternative moving object that the fish is interested in

Bettas do well alone. I think often times what owners perceive as a bored fish is actually one that feels safe in its home. If your set on adding anything I would consider a snail as a buddy. Also keep the scape entertaining so there are things to explore.

Thanks for the feedback :)

If we didn't have 6 shrimp and 1 male guppy in our 20g tank, we'd consider putting her back in with our other fish, but, we don't want her to harrass the shrimp & the guppy. We may try a mirror, thank you! She did play in the helmet a little today :D I've never heard of a wind up toy for a fish tank, where would you find one? We had a floating jellyfish suspended on a string and held to the bottom via suction cup, but she never really cared about it. The male betta gets all up underneath his and it's cute :) A floating scuba diver is also an interesting idea!

Bettas do well alone. I think often times what owners perceive as a bored fish is actually one that feels safe in its home. If your set on adding anything I would consider a snail as a buddy. Also keep the scape entertaining so there are things to explore.

She has our "free" (he came with some java moss), what we think is, a ramshorn snail in with her, and HE POOPS A TON. She checked him out and ignores him now. Her tank is pretty bare, and not a lot of room to work with, as it has more vertical space.

Any ideas? Again, this is the tank we have her in:
http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/cache/media/bluemill/products/10505_Fluval-Chi-II-19L_1w400-h400.png

A bored fish is a secure fish lol. Dont think too much of it. If your parameters are fine and she doesnt appear to be unhealthy, then she is just peachy. Fish don't have video games, cars, art, music and other things, they are just glad to be eating and not be eaten haha

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A bored fish is a secure fish lol. Dont think too much of it. If your parameters are fine and she doesnt appear to be unhealthy, then she is just peachy. Fish don't have video games, cars, art, music and other things, they are just glad to be eating and not be eaten haha

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright... thanks :) We just feel bad :( We want her to have more to do. She swims right to the front when she sees us coming towards her. We love her. She's a feisty little thing. But doesn't like fingers put in front of her. Go figure :p But she'll bite/try to bite your finger and jump out of the water a bit when it is feeding time...

Have you tried showing her videos? I know that seems weird but they've done some weird fish behavior studies by showing them videos... If I recall from biology of fishes they showed, ahem, adult content to sticklebacks to get them to spawn more. Maybe you could entertain your betta by showing her some natural scenes or videos of other fish on a laptop?

Have you tried showing her videos? I know that seems weird but they've done some weird fish behavior studies by showing them videos... If I recall from biology of fishes they showed, ahem, adult content to sticklebacks to get them to spawn more. Maybe you could entertain your betta by showing her some natural scenes or videos of other fish on a laptop?

Huh! That's an interesting idea, I'll try it soon! :)

We sucked out the snail poop today and added two gallons. The poopy snail is now in the 10g tank with the nerite snail. She was exploring her helmet today :)

We are considering putting her in our 20g community tank, we want her to have more space & be happier. We are going to do a trial run & watch her VERY CLOSELY and have a net handy... we are most worried about our shrimp & our male guppy. Course, her tank & filter and whatnot have come to about $100, just for her, because we thought she was biting pygmy catfish tails and killing them.... but we'd like her in a bigger space. If she shows any aggression at all, back into the fluval chi with her!

What do you all think?

Can't hurt to try! When I moved my betta from a 2.5 to a 26 gallon community back when i was like 13 it went awesome- the betta fit right in.

That's great sinibotia!

At our LFS, they have a male betta and a female betta in a community tank with some platies I think, some amano shrimp, and maybe a few other fish. We asked them about it, and they said they weren't doing well in the cups I think? Well actually our lfs has them in little glass globe thingies. All the critters in this tank, I guess it is maybe 10-15 gallons, get along fine it seems!

Our female betta is pretty aggressive, at least towards us kinda, but after inspecting the snail the first day we had him in there with her for about a week, she ignored him. So she may be ok in the community tank :) After all, she lived in the 10g tank for at least a month if not a bit more than that with our pygmy cories. She was with the pygmy cories in the 5g tank too when we first got her while they were in quarantine and while we readied our 10g for them, testing the cycle. We don't want her to attack Gupp-Gupp (that's what I named our guppy lol) or our shrimp. I think she'd leave everyone else alone. She likes to bite fingers if they're near enough to her, and she jumped onto the floor one time at feeding time. But she is timid of fingers in front of her in front of the tank lol.

I think her being in the larger tank should be fine. I know that all fish are different ( especially fighting fish ) but I have mine in with a rainbow shark, two mystery snails, three neon tetras, three other tetras, two dwarf gouramis, two pleco catfish, four angelfish, two black skirted Texas and two other small fish ( unknown breed). She is absolutely fine and thriving compared to when we had her in her smaller tank by herself ? goodluck

Back
Top Bottom