Bored of my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, i havent posted in a long time!
anyways, ive had a 37 gallon tank for less than 2 years, and i am kind of bored of it. The stock,as of now, is 10 rumynose, 2 honey gourami, 2 gbr, 4 juli cats.
I love my rumynose, and i still like the gbr, but the gourami and cats, not so much. I want something to spice up the tank, a big fish, unique fish, or something else to really make me like my tank again. thanks

Have you considered re scaping the tank? I don't know if you have a planted tank, or just hard scapes. But if your becoming bored, maybe expiriment with a different style of aquascaping! Sometimes you can use what you have to create an entire different visual appearance, just by moving a few things

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can always sell, trade or give away your fish to a reliable source and just try different fish? I'm thinking small Tanganyikans, I'm not too familiar with them but sure are very interesting, colorful and active plus they'll need a different landscape.

you could try live plants and aqua scapeing or get something to breed. Breed something harder to find like apistogramas or something like that.

Most good LFS will take fish donations for store credit, so you could try that avenue if you want to rehome the gourami and julies.

Rescapes can do wonders at revitalizing a tank, as can breeding something. Watching the courting rituals and then helping the babies grow up can be quite fun. You do have to worry about what to do with the babies afterwards though, but again, if you have a LFS that accepts fish donations then there's that route. Make sure you check that they'll take babies of the species you plan to breed, as they may reject them if they have too many. Apistos, Rams, and Angels are usually welcomed, and aren't SO easy to breed (like live bearers or Convicts) that you have to worry about having too many babies to find homes for. Depending on your LFS, Kribs may also be welcome and aren't too difficult to raise in a community tank. Note that most of these suggestions need quite warm water (around 82 for Rams, Angels, and 80 for Kribs), which will be uncomfortably warm for your Rummynose Tetras...

If breeding isn't your thing, and a rescape doesn't do the trick, look into active fish with cool behaviors. Threadfin Rainbows have very eye catching courting/territorial fin-flicking displays, Dwarf Cichlids will greet you and do a little "feed me" dance (and have cool colors to boot), and Khuli Loaches in decent numbers can be quite active and cool looking (or Dwarf Chain Loaches if you want something a little braver, but less unique of body shape). There's more options out there, but these are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Every few weeks I move things around in my 45 gal tank. Change the plants around, add or remove rocks and drift wood, etc. Makes it more interesting to watch again. I'd also like to get some different fish but I couldn't bear to give mine away.

Back
Top Bottom