Boring tank needs an upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys. I've had my tank up and running for around 2 months now. It's a 48 bowfront and instead of taking my time and scaping it, I rushed into it and threw everything in there so I could get it up and going.

I have a 20lb of floramax and a 40 lb of PFS laying around that I wanted to use but I can't think of an any ideas to make it look pretty and have depth. I'll post a picture of the tank below.

1483546727500.jpg

The plants in this photo are babies compared to now. That sword in the middle back is almost to the top of the water surface now. Crazy how fast it took off in just over a months time since adding it from my old tank.

I haven't kept tanks in a long time but I am returning to the hobby.

I don't think you have to do much to the tank, the basics are already present and quite attractive IMO. Maybe a good number of really tall plants along the back wall. Then place some plants on the driftwood on the left. Try to get another piece of driftwood that is bigger to match the one on the right.

Well I just got back from my LFS and got an unopened fluval 88 co2 system for 20 bucks. I think I just saved over $100 there

I need some lighting advice. I have those 2 LED bars that clip on that came with the tank when I bought it. I have no earthly idea how to measure the intensity but I was getting some heavy shadow areas so I went ahead and put my hood from my old 20g High tank on the top of the glass cover for more lighting. It has an t8 18" floramax bulb in the hood. I've positioned it more towards the middle of the tank to add more lighting to some of the plants that were hidden.

Is there a way to measure light intensity from these or have a general idea if I can keep high light plants? I run my lights for 10 hours a day on average. With the co2 system, I'm hoping it gets rid of some of the algae building up on the glass. I've just been dosing liquid co2 off and on which does no good to the tank so a fluval co2 88 system for $20 was a no brainer.

I need some lighting advice. I have those 2 LED bars that clip on that came with the tank when I bought it. I have no earthly idea how to measure the intensity but I was getting some heavy shadow areas so I went ahead and put my hood from my old 20g High tank on the top of the glass cover for more lighting. It has an t8 18" floramax bulb in the hood. I've positioned it more towards the middle of the tank to add more lighting to some of the plants that were hidden.

Is there a way to measure light intensity from these or have a general idea if I can keep high light plants? I run my lights for 10 hours a day on average. With the co2 system, I'm hoping it gets rid of some of the algae building up on the glass. I've just been dosing liquid co2 off and on which does no good to the tank so a fluval co2 88 system for $20 was a no brainer.

Co2 will help but the system u have for the size of the tank is gonna have u going through canisters weekly if not quicker. As for lighting for high light plants u want something like a finnex planted + or similar. Something that stretches the full length of the tank.

If going into high light u will need to change to EI dry salt dosing. Google EI dosing guide. I 4x dose the phosphate recommended to keep the GSA that forms on the glass away. Works a treat.

In a tank this size your co2 rate will be probs around 5 bps. Make sure you get a drop checker aswell, it wants to be atleast lime green at all spots in the tank.

Also you want good flow in all areas of your tank. Any dead spots/slow movement areas will be a hot spot for algae to form.

A high tech setup is a lot of work. Be sure that your going to have the time to maintain the tank properly. Something as simple as missing your weekly water change by 1 day can result in an algae break out. If algae gets even a little foot hold in the tank it will spread like wild fire untill you find the cause of the problem.

It took me over 6 months to find a balance of lighting/nutrients/co2 in my high tech 30g. I've battled every type of algae along the way. A high tech is certainly a constant hobby, be prepared to be working on it weekly.

I don't want you to be disheartened by this, I just want you to know what to expect going from low to high tech. Make sure you do a lot of research into fert dosing and co2 before you make the jump :)

Hope I've helped :)

Oh no. I've had fish tanks a long time. I've just been a broke college kid so they were all low tech setups with only a few bunch plants. I moved over to this setup a couple months ago and my plants have sky rocketed. My baby crypts aren't babies anymore. I have the time and resources to maintain a pristine tank. I have a 8 to 5 job now instead of a 12 hour rotating shift.

I'm in it for the long run and I want my tank to reflect the passion I've had burning all along. Nothing more frustrating than wanting to do a high tech tank and don't have the money.

That finnex planted+ is already in my cart on ebay. I get paid Friday ?. After I get the finnex, should that solve all my lighting problems? I don't need the led bars that came with it?

What ferts do you recommend? I'll just say this, I've had a lot of success with root tabs but I don't use them anymore. Too many pretty shrimp and I don't want them to die if it gets into the water. I have a lot of diggers in my tank. Something like seachem flourish?

What ferts do you recommend? I'll just say this, I've had a lot of success with root tabs but I don't use them anymore. Too many pretty shrimp and I don't want them to die if it gets into the water. I have a lot of diggers in my tank. Something like seachem flourish?

Go to EI for high tech. It's the best by far. If follow EI you will be dosing dry salts of kno3, kh2po4, chelated micro mix, GH booster(if you feel it's needed). The most important thing is co2. You want co2 to be atleast 30ppm (this is a must) and you want a really good spread with it. Inline diffusers are best for this or a DIY Griggs or cerges reactor.

Here's a link with everything you need to know about EI fert dosing:
https://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=dosing-with-dry-salts

Good to hear your ready for the jump! High tech tanks are extremely rewarding. Plant growth is incredible.

Yeah I would say I have a medium light and my Swords are growing too fast. They will be out of the water by the end of the weekend at this rate

You indicate the plants are thriving (they do look nice) and getting ready to grow out of the water! Why mess with the magic? - you've got it going on (!) without the need for any high tech CO2 - Fertz or fancy lighting!

You are taking a chance at messing up the stability by going hi tech.

Also - I think your tank and aquascape look great!

I guess if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably save this co2 system for a more compatible tank.

I just love how much more healthy plants look. The color pops, the growth rate is off the charts, and I really really really want HC ?

Staying low tech? I don't blame you. Getting the right balance can be tricky once you step up the lighting. Speaking of lighting...have you or will you be getting the planted+? If so and if you have not ordered it, consider getting a Finnex 24/7 instead. While at max setting it is produces more light than the planted+, it is adjustable (10-100%) and can do the 24/7 mode if you are into that. Adjustable is the key; allows you to stay low tech if you want.
While it is a good light, you may have trouble growing HC Cuba with that height. Plus HC Cuba, as I've read and experienced first hand really does better with CO2.
A not so demanding stem plant that does well as a carpet is Staurogyne repens.

Yeah I'm getting the 24/7 feature. I really don't like running my lights for 10 hours a day.

I just picked up a pack of s. Repens yesterday and got them in the tank. They're really small so I'm having to anchor them but between my yoyo loach and Cory cats, it's becoming quite the task. Especially in sand. I moved them to the gravel to give them some time to grow some roots

With the 24/7 mode on, the lights are on about 20 hours. However, its really bright for only about 4-6 hours and progressively dimmer (or brighter) the rest of the time. It's pretty dark in the wee hours.
Good luck with the planting with those rambunctious tank mates. I only had to deal with Malaysian trumpet snails. Those snails like to dig though.

I do have a few of those in there that were tag along a but I read they're great for sand in a new tank to dig around and release those air pockets when you first set up the tank but I haven't seen them in months so who knows if they made it

Pretty sure the yo-yos ate them.
MTS are great for the substrate. They just breed like rabbits.
Lots of toothpicks to guard the plants until the root come in.

I wouldn't mind having them for feeder and substrate. My mystery snails won't stop breeding. I have 4 nests in my tank right now

Back
Top Bottom