Bottom-Dweller Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mxg5299

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 36 gallon community tank with:
2 dwarf gouramis
3 Denison barbs
8 glolight tetras
1 rainbow shark
Other than the shark, most of these fish eat off the top. I'd like some bottom action and was considering Emerald Cory Catfish. I have sand and have done my research, but will the rainbow shark bother them? I have no aggression problems now.

Bottom Feeders

Hello mxg...

The Corydoras won't bother other fish. I have them in several community tanks. I keep the Corys with Plecos, Gouramis, Platys and Guppies with no problem. You could review the type fish you have and if they're peaceful, then you could add some Corys. These fish do best in a group of 4 or so. Emeralds are a larger species, 2.5 inches. They may overstock your tank. Smaller species like Pandas, about 1 inch may be a better choice.

If you're a good water changer, the Emeralds could work. I change half the water in my tanks roughly every week to avoid water problems.

B

Hehe. Bottom action.

The shark should be ok. I have one with my Corys and it doesn't bother them. The advice I was given was to get he shark when it is young so it is used to others.

If you are unsure still, what about a plec as a bottom dweller?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

The rainbow shark is the oldest in the tank, I had it in a 10 gallon and my previous 36 gallon setup

Loaches are always fun too. Lots of different ones so I don't know which would work with your others tho

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom