Bottom feeder for semi-aggressive tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, I have a 20 gallon with some tiger barbs and I wanted to get a bottom feeder for it. The only thing is that 20 gallons is way too small for plecos which are the only bottom feeder I can think of that can deal with any barb aggressiveness, but they get too big and the lfs around here don't sell the smaller pleco varieties. I was also thinking of a red-tailled shark, but again, they get too big and too aggressive. Loaches, may get stressed out and the cover on my tank isn't that tight (particularly important since a lot of loach species are good jumpers/ escape artists). Otos will also likely get harassed and stressed. That left me with cories, which I've never kept before. Lol. I figured their tough scales may hold out an a few nips, if any, by the barbs, I just don't know how stressed they would be though.

What do you all think?

Check aquabid. BlueRam06 and Thom144E both have great deals on quality bristlenose plecos(albino, standard, long fin, standard fin). They will be just fine in a 20g tank. Also, some cories MAY be okay with the tigers, but I haven't tried it before.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. As cool as plecos are. I kinda wanna avoid them if I can and am up for trying something else new, since the plecos and otos have been the only bottom feeders I've been used to. I would keep the otos, but I think they would be too stresed?

My main concern is just, what are all my options for bottom feeders that can deal with possible harassment in a tank of tiger barbs.

What has everyone used (or think I could possibly use) as a bottom feeder with tiger barbs?

I wouldn't put Cories with Tiger Barbs. They tend to get picked on and fin nipped since they are very non-aggressive.

Loaches.....are a bit too active for a 20g, especially a regular 20. I don't think they'd be happy for long.

I would leave it as is. If you had a larger tank, there would be more room for hiding spots and room for more Barbs (the bigger school the better they usually behave) and that would allow you some bottom feeders.

Otos don't stay on the bottom much. They are usually ignored by fish though, especially puffers. They would probably be your best bet if you just have to have something.

Thanks blackhills and justonemore for your responses.

Hmm...
Blackhills:

Aren't loaches generally notorious jumpers/ escape artists? Are they really helpful with algae and eating leftovers? I always though that they were mostly good with snails. I'll do a bit of research about kuhli loaches though and post back on here.

Justonemore:

Unfortunately, I'm a tad bit persistent about having a bottom feeder cause I may put some more live plants in there and may have to up my light exposure and such and in turn will likely cultivate the chances of having some algae in the tank.

So otos seem to be the best bet eh? Hmm...They seem like a species that can get stressed REALLY easy, I may search some more on this forum and post again.

Anyone else?

Loaches are not algae eaters, they are "bottom feeders." I have yet to see one any of my striatas try to jump out, but YMMV. I have 5 striatas in my 20g(tall), and they are active and doing well.

i have 2 cories in a barb/tetra tank. theyre albino and blend in with the gravel, so i dont think the barbs notice them at all. theyve been in there for 4 months without either of them getting picked on.

Sweet, I guess I'll have to look into that then. Striatas and albino cories.

I also figured since the scales of cories are supposed really tough, it would provide some type protection from a few nips.

Neither Cories nor Loaches eat algae, just FYI. If you want an algae eater, you'll want the Otos or an algae scraper. :D

I don't like putting loaches in anything less than a 3ft tank personally (unless they are Khulis or Dwarf Chains). Striata get around 4" and they are probably just as active as Yoyos I've had in the past. A 20 high doesn't really give them enough swimming room IMO.

Barbs usually go after the fins, not the body.....

One trick is having enough Barbs to spread their aggression. In groups of 8+ they usually tend to focus more on themselves than other fish. A 20 high doesn't really provide enough swimming room for 8 full grown barbs though.....so its hard to have enough.

ive found the best algae eater to be a siamese algae eater - they dont destroy my plants like the plecoes, but just one in my 20g got rid of all the unsightly algae in 2 days. and my tank was covered! it even cleared it off of rough rocks that i dont expect any pleco to touch.

Neither Cories nor Loaches eat algae, just FYI. If you want an algae eater, you'll want the Otos or an algae scraper. :D

I don't like putting loaches in anything less than a 3ft tank personally (unless they are Khulis or Dwarf Chains). Striata get around 4" and they are probably just as active as Yoyos I've had in the past. A 20 high doesn't really give them enough swimming room IMO.

Barbs usually go after the fins, not the body.....

One trick is having enough Barbs to spread their aggression. In groups of 8+ they usually tend to focus more on themselves than other fish. A 20 high doesn't really provide enough swimming room for 8 full grown barbs though.....so its hard to have enough.

Sorry, I realized I wrote that. Lol. I just insist on having something to clean up. Lol.

I also just looked into the striata and noticed the same thing you did about their size, activity and the fact that they should be in groups of about 5 or so.

ive found the best algae eater to be a siamese algae eater - they dont destroy my plants like the plecoes, but just one in my 20g got rid of all the unsightly algae in 2 days. and my tank was covered! it even cleared it off of rough rocks that i dont expect any pleco to touch.

Hmm...I thought about those ones too, but aren't they overly aggressive when they're adults?

I believe the Chinese algae eaters are known to be aggressive as adults (they develop a taste for slime coat rather than algae) but that Siamese algae eaters remain peaceful. Here's a good article on the differences between these fish: Algae Eating Cyprinids from Thailand and Neighboring Areas

I have an SAE in with some serpae tetras, who are not as agressive as barbs but can be nippy. The algae eater does fine. I spent a long time at the LFS making sure I got a true SAE, looking out for the zig-zag of his stripe and also the color of his fins.

yeah you have to watch out for the long black striped Chinese. walmart usually has the Siamese type, you just have to make sure they're ALL Siamese because they wont let you pick one (they're too fast)

If you wanted to think "outside the box" a little, you could consider something like some dwarf crayfish. Not the "blue lobster"-type crayfish which you often see in stores like PetCo (which can grow to 6", will catch & kill any fish they can get their claws on, and will tear to shreds any live plants in your tank in a matter of days), but true dwarf crayfish, which grow to no more than 1.5" at full adult length and as long as they are fed, will not harm even the smallest of fish nor your aquarium plants.

The two most popular in the hobby are:

Cajun Dwarf Crayfish (Cambarellus Shufeldtii) Petshrimp.com -- All about shrimp
Orange Mexican Dwarf Crayfish (Cambarellus Patzcuarensis) Petshrimp.com -- All about shrimp

Note that these are still new enough to the hobby that you essentially have no chance of finding them in any commercial aquarium store. Your best bet is to check your local aquarium club to see if any club members are raising/breeding them, or else buy them off a specialized aquarium online auction site like AquaBid. Also, be ready to fork out some money; the Cajuns can run $30 or so for a M/F pair, and the Mexican Orange can run $50 or more for a pair. Though the crayfish are small, I would think the adults could hold their own against any nippiness of the tiger barbs...though I'm sure any baby crays born would quickly become barb food.

Like I said, just an idea if you wanted to think outside the box a little. :)

Hi Unknown 7 and everyone else.
My wife and I have a modest little fish room in our basement(about 166 tanks and 4- 55s,1- 75 and 1-46 Bow front in our living room, and 1-30 gallon in the bedroom) all in all about 2000 gallons of tanks.
We breed and raise a few varieties and I just recently started buying wholesale from a quality wholesaler I trust very much.
Everything I buy I set up breeders for myself to try something new.
My wife found this forum when googling our name and found your questions and thought I may be of assistance.
It just so happens I have some REAL Siamese algae eaters that go well with any fish. They are fast like the Barbs and do really well at consuming algae.
As for the bottom feeders, I have 7 different kinds of Loaches. The Ornate Tiger loach is my favorite, he's very active and is constantly searching the tank.
Most of these loaches only get to about 4 inches, which is not to big for a 20 Gal. I have 2 of each in my 55 with Danios, plecos and sharks. I have them with Angels in my 46 also. They love to hide and play in the plants and caves. They are a peaceful fish also. But wont take any abuse from others either.
If you have any Vinyl screening laying around you can use that to put over any spots in your cover to assure you have no escapees.
I currently have these up on Aquabid.com right now. You can check them out there if you like and email me any questions or post here. I would be happy to help you in any way I can.
Hope this helps.
I will try to find the profile page and create that also.
Jay

Cory's are as stated above are not algae eaters. They'll clean up the "left-overs" very well, but they don't eat algae. Also, their scales are not really "tough". They can be easily picked on, and are more sensitive to any medications (ex:Ich treatment). They are however, as contradictory as this sounds, hardy. I have a few in every tank I have running, and the only tank where they get picked on is in my 75 gallon SA Cichlid tank, and that's because Dempseys ARE mean (love 'em though). Best bet; 1) take a chance and try to find a larger Cory, 2) as posted earlier try to disperse the aggression between enough Barbs, or 3) Otos !!
Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom