Bottom Feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masquinongy69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is a good bottom feeder (not algae eater) that grows to a decent size and wont eat smaller fish ? I have a 55 gallon tank - I don't mind cleaning the substrate, but it seems a lot of the food I feed the Tetra's and Molly's ends up falling to the bottom. I realize I'll have to feed the bottom fish in addition to his/her cleanup role.

Not sure ... looking for something that will be comfortable in my 55 that won’t eat the tetras and Molly’s

Some of the corydoras species get around 3 in Long. A 55 would be large enough for a school of those. I guarantee that any fish food that makes it to the bottom will be consumed LOL.

there are also numerous types of loaches that would be acceptable as bottom scavengers. But remember whatever you get it's not just there to clean up after the other fish. You will need to remember to target feed them as well.

The bonus with a clown loach is you would never have to worry about snails

We love our crew of six panda cories. They do a good job of cleaning food that falls to the bottom.

Sweet ! I started building a school of green Cory’s - got 2 so far ... soon as the Amonia drops I’ll add 4 more :). Thanks for all the good advice !! I will probably get a loach at some point when I find one I like.

Back
Top Bottom