Bottom of plants melting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meese-a-mew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why is this starting to happen all of a sudden? I have my temp at around 82 and all my params are fine. I use root tabs and co2. Flourish comprehensive twice a week.
3-4 WPG.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417483709.764860.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417483735.520690.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417483756.019254.jpg

Meese

I think the stems might have been planted too closely and the thick upper growth is casting too much of a shadow on the lower portions of the plants.
You could always remove the entire plant, trim off the top and replant only the top and space them generously.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think the stems might have been planted too closely and the thick upper growth is casting too much of a shadow on the lower portions of the plants.
You could always remove the entire plant, trim off the top and replant only the top and space them generously.

I though about that but for some reason even plants like bacopa carolina are also doing that and tht plant wasnt particularly growing fast

Meese

Hmm. Perhaps the plants went through a period of stress (fert imbalance, CO2 deficiency) and they responded by keeping the new growth and shedding the old growth. Any recent (last 2-4 weeks) changes in lighting, ferts, CO2, other?

I did change the temp. Went from 79 to 83. I turned down the lighting from 8 hours to 6 hours. Those are the only changes in the last few weeks.

Meese

Idk. Those are not really big changes. Maybe there was something amiss all along and it managed to peak recently? I was going to say do a big water change and reevaluate your fert regimen but the damage looks like is is already done. But finding the root cause will be helpful to prevent further damage.

Maybe over water changing? I just remembered tht I started doing a lot of water changes lately. Like 3 times a week. Would that change anything?

Meese

I don't think the water changes are the issue. Why did you reduce your photoperiod to 6 hours? What size tank is this and what kind of lighting is on it exactly?

Changes because too much algae. 30 gallon normal dims. LED 10000k I beleive. The plants were doing really well before. I was selling plants for some extra money for more tanks lol.

Meese

I read that when plants get too tall, they think they don't need the bottom leaves so they she'd them.

Meese

You didn't use peroxide, excel, blackout, or chemicals to treat the algae?

Some plants will shed lower leaves as they grow taller but this is often relative to less light getting to the bottom half.

Nope. Didn't want to blackout or it would kill the plants, I don't think I'm allowed to buy peroxide, don't want to buy excel.

Meese

Back
Top Bottom