Bought an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandyyyboo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I am new to these forums and I'm looking for some advice on starting my first cichlid tank. I already have a 45 gallon community tank and am buying a 50 gallon from a friend. I have a few questions, but I'll start with this one.

He has had the tank for 3 years and it is currently stocked with 40 convicts, and a catfish. He has two filters ( not sure of the brand) but they are both HOB. I want to start fresh so he is going to get rid of the convicts before I buy it. So my question, if I empty everything out ( decor, gravel, and water) will it take as long to cycle if I keep the same filters, add new water, and just add sand and some Texas holey rock? I want the tank completely cycled before I add fish. I am wanting to go with Mbuna cichlids eventually.

As long as you keep the filter material wet with tank water your bacteria will stay alive. You may experience a mini cycle but it should not take long to complete. Some water changes will take care of any spikes you see.

Just be sure to keep it wet, ziplock bag or bucket. Also, keep in mind that you will have to keep feeding (ammonia or flakes) the bacteria if you don't have anything in the tank.

Thanks! I'm not sure when I will get the tank yet, but I will remember to keep the filter media wet. As mentioned before, he has a catfish with the convicts and I suppose I could keep it. Do you think the catfish would be okay if I put in new sand and the filter media? I could just do water changes if necessary. That way I would have a source of ammonia.

You have to make that call. I'd say it depends on what type/size of catfish it is and if it will fit into your list of future inhabitants.

If you keep it you will have to give it algae wafers or something similar since there will be nothing to pick at in the substrate.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium Advice app

Back
Top Bottom