Bowfront tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
There's a good looking 75 gallon bowfront tank on sale at my lfs. I think it looks nice, but I was curious if anyone knows if the shape will affect the view of my tank at all.

personally i don't like bow front tanks. i honestly think that looking at them you can tell it's bowed and things just don't look right.

maybe it's just me and my eyes though, because otherwise i don't even understand why they would sell them. but to me it makes things look strange, and gives me a headache if i look too long.

-brent

I have a 46 gallon bow front tank and it looks fine to me and there has been no problems with it.

I think bowfronts are fine - except the ones that are "corner" tanks, where you have an angle at the back and a curved piece across the front creating a three-sided tank. I think those do distort the view of the fish and it is disorienting to me when I go to the LFS and they have display fish in them.

I think that the larger bowfronts produce much less distortion than the smaller ones. I have a 7 gal bowfront and I just never liked the way it showcased my fish. The optical distortion was very noticeable aand not very flattering.

Like I said, I don't think think this would necessarily be the case with a 75 gal bowfront, but if I were you, I would check out a couple of lfs in hope of actually seeing one that was stocked with fish.

Two other things to keep in mind is that a 75 gal bowfront probably has the same footprint as a cheaper 90 gal standard tank, and that bowfront tanks look much, much better on more expensive bowfront stands.

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I think I can live without a bowfront, I was just curious.

BTW, is that glasscages.com a reputable supplier? Those are some cheap cheap tanks.

My 29 bowfront has notably more disortion than a comparable rectangular tank. My other problem with bowfronts is reflections. I find that if there is a light or window facing the front of the tank, you get reflections off the front glass across a wider viewing angle than you would with a regular tank. It depends on the geometry of your room, of course, but it bugs me with my setup right now.

I'm into trying to photograph my fish, and I think a bowfront might hurt that.

BTW, once again, it'd be cool if someone could vouce for glasscages.com that'd be cool.

That is a good point about photos! I have a 12gal Eclipse that has a very slight bowfront and I can't get a decent pic to save my life in that tank. Don't know if that would be an issue in a larger tank or not.

I've gotten some decent pics in my 7 gal bowfront, but only when the fish was close to the glass. (see my gallery - cory melanistius, ramshorn snail, and albino ancistrus). One thing I noticed is that the autofocus doesn't work at all with the bowfront - I think it keeps trying to focus on the curved outer glass surface. Nearly all my photos are taken with manual focus.

Back
Top Bottom