Bowfront vs. "long"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlNamedJamie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I've recently decided that I wanted an aquarium, so I've been doing research over all my options.

I would first like to decide what kind of tank I'm going to purchase. Size wise, It'll probably be somewhere between 20-40 gallons. Initially, I thought I'd want a rectangle ,"long", tank, but now I'm also considered a bow front. ..I will more than likely choose tropical community fish.

I would like opinions from you all!

Also.. Would you suggest purchasing the "starter kits" they have in stores, or building it up myself? I'm prepared to do research on what I think is best suited for my aquarium.

Lots of people on here recommend the 40 gallon 'breeder tank'

You can usually find some pretty good deals on Craigslist, a while back I got a complete 46 gallon bowfront set up for $50 because the previous owners had remodeled their kitchen and the tank no longer matched the decor

I have a 46 bow. I think it's looks nicer. Petco had a great deal and tank and stand .

I'd go for a 40g breeder or a 55g if you can fit it, but tanks like the 20g long, 29g, 33g, and such are all great too. The bigger the tank the more options you will have. I prefer normal tanks to bow fronts as the bowed part of the glass can make viewing them just a tad bit odd and also make photography a major pain. I would also avoid any sort of kit and piece it together yourself.

I'd go for a 40g breeder or a 55g if you can fit it, but tanks like the 20g long, 29g, 33g, and such are all great too. The bigger the tank the more options you will have. I prefer normal tanks to bow fronts as the bowed part of the glass can make viewing them just a tad bit odd and also make photography a major pain. I would also avoid any sort of kit and piece it together yourself.

Why do you think buying items separate is better than a kit? Just wondering because I did not do a ton of research before I bought my Aqueon 36g bow front kit and now I'm wondering if I got something inferior.

My Hagen kit was unreal, had a stand, fluval heater, tank, hood, light and a fluval c3 +net, food, chemicals for my 26 gallon Bowfront for 190. Which I added it up to buy separate and saved $150* so if it comes with high quality products go for it

My Hagen kit was unreal, had a stand, fluval heater, tank, hood, light and a fluval c3 +net, food, chemicals for my 26 gallon Bowfront for 190. Which I added it up to buy separate and saved $150* so if it comes with high quality products go for it

I got the 36g aqueon for $90. Tank, hood, light, filter Included. It's 'on sale' right now for $140 at pertsmart, so I think I got a steal!

I got the 36g aqueon for $90. Tank, hood, light, filter Included. It's 'on sale' right now for $140 at pertsmart, so I think I got a steal!

I live in canada, land of the expensive ;) so for me this was a good deal.

I saw that this was one of the better "deals" at petsmart today, and there was also a good deal on Craigslist. That's why I was considering it.

I'm moving in ten days, so once I get moved in, I'll be able to see which size tank is practical. I think the bigger the better! :)

I also bought aq 36 gal bowfront kit and love it. It came with a filter that filters up to 45 gal. Love the bowfront as it is better for viewing. I bought mine at Petsmart for $99.

I bought a 40 breeder on Craigslist and I LOVE it! It has a great footprint for stocking and aquascapping! I suggest a 40 breeder!

I don't personally love bowfronts, I don't care for the optics. If I ever get another midsize tank it will be a 40b for sure.

I don't even need a new tank but I'm constantly browsing Craigslist for any must have deals. It's definitely worth the time to look on there to see if u can find a gem.

In general, bowfronts have some disadvantages. They are more expensive, as are things like matching stands. They are more problematic for tops and lighting. There is also the distortion factor even though it may be slight. On the plus side, they look nice. Personally, I would choose a flat front tank over a bowfront, even if they were the same price.

I bought a 36 gal bowfront from petsmart for 99.00. I love it. Great for decorations and the depth is great for tall plants.

I bought my bow front from petsmart as well around 6 months ago when it was 89.99 plus I worked there so I got 15% off everything. I bought x2 AC-70s, new test kit, and a stand for the 36bf for a total of 200. It wasn't bad at all considering everything was brand new!!! Then I got a free 75g from there because it was missing a top panel so I took all that back and set up the 75g. I'm way happier with the flat front versus the bow. The bowfronts just have a great look but seeing quality is a bit distorted

Back
Top Bottom