Brackish Algae Eater w/Figure 8 Puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Who

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all

I am trying to figure out a good algae eater for a brackish tank with a figure 8 puffer.
It is a 10 g- the puffer is the only fish in it.
We are getting aLOT of algae due to the amount of natural light

:thanks:

I can't think of any BW algae eaters. The best thing to do would be to scape it off with a credit card or some thing.

I think i heard some or all mollies eat some algae. Control your light for algae maintenance.

Yeah, Mollies have been known to eat algae but they are too big for a 10g. The best thing to do is try to control the light. If that can't be done, I use a toothbrush to scrape algae up. Maybe try to look up some brackish plants to try and take up some nutrients. You can also try to feed less.

Oooop, just remembered, I believe Nerite Snails can be acclimated to Brackish. Although you may have to check my facts on that one :X

Predfan27 said:
Oooop, just remembered, I believe Nerite Snails can be acclimated to Brackish. Although you may have to check my facts on that one :X

How long can they stay alive with a puffer ;)

I hear amano shrimp acctually do alright with puffers and in the wild they go down stream towards brackish and salt water to breed so I suppose they would be fine in a bw tank. You might need to look into this more but just a suggestion. Figured their survival against puffers is higher as theta re quite fast.

I was reading about the snails and they are BW...do you think they stand a better chance of living if we give him smaller snails to feast on?

We are currently breeding pink ramshorns for him to eat- we have unlimited numbers for him (they breed like crazy! give them a leaf of spinach and BAM-10 egg clutches! :lol:)

Also- controlling light is nearly impossible...especially in the summer. the only place we have room for his tank is right under a window and we live in eastern washington (lots of summer sun). the natural light alone has made the algae go out of control- we cant keep up with it

I would think feeding him snails would just give him more of a tests for escargot and he will think anything snail shaped is food.

You don't want to overfeed. It is very easy to cause an overweight puffer. They will take down any snail. Amano shrimps will be eaten as well. Its actually very stimulating for them to chase down shrimps.

Terrance said:

Good point! Haha

Mollys are too big to be in a 10g with the Puffer.

I think your option is getting some brackish plants and manual labor :(

i have a whole bunch of nerite snails in my BW tank with a GSP and dwarf puffer. they do a great job with the algae and the puffers dont even notice them but i have a lot of empty shells in my substrate.

Back
Top Bottom