Brackish biotope- what would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, I'm going to have an empty tank soon (just as soon as I transfer its freshwater occupants to a 6ft tank) and would like to have a go at a brackish biotope.

The tank is 36"L x 18"W x 17"H

I don't want livebearers or anything that will grow bigger than 5 inches (I can't keep buying 6ft tanks! lol)

Now I don't know really anything about brackish setups, so feel free to throw any advice, warnings, anecdotes, links, science etc at me. I want to get it right first time!

This is really a blank slate- I will provide whatever substrate, filtration, decor, lighting etc that a specific biotope requires.

Should be ok with that salt. I have my brackish tank for over a yr now and it was a rough start cause not much info out there for brackish. I currently have a 75g with a eshopps wet/dry and a 700gph pump on there. My stock is 4 sun mollies, 5 orange chromides, 4 figure 8 puffers, archer. Stay away from green spotted puffers cause they will need to be in a marine tank down the road. Most brackish fish that I've seen in LFS will get bigger than 5inches. Here is a pic of the tank and my lighting is a fluval ultra bright led.

ForumRunner_20130429_074716.jpg

Should be ok with that salt. I have my brackish tank for over a yr now and it was a rough start cause not much info out there for brackish. I currently have a 75g with a eshopps wet/dry and a 700gph pump on there. My stock is 4 sun mollies, 5 orange chromides, 4 figure 8 puffers, archer. Stay away from green spotted puffers cause they will need to be in a marine tank down the road. Most brackish fish that I've seen in LFS will get bigger than 5inches. Here is a pic of the tank and my lighting is a fluval ultra bright led.

Nice setup! What kind of plants (if any) would I be able to add if I kept it open-topped so the leaves would be above the water line?
I really like gobies, but there doesn't seem tone much variety in my area.
Can you recommend any good sites to do with brackish fish/biotopes?

I have fake plants cause my puffers for some reason decided to tear my one real plant to test out. I use liveaquaria.com mostly but I usually just google sites to get more info. Real plants are very slim pickings cause of the salt lvls. I had to raise my lvl a bit so I can't have real plants. The only thing that is real is the wood. Now for gobies I can only think of three that would live in brackish, bumblebees, knight gobies and the dragon goby fish but they can get kinda big.

Back
Top Bottom