brackish shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
So I've been doing some more research on what can go in our 80g brackish tank and now I'm on to the cleaning crew. Catfish are out of the question so I thought about shrimp. The research has not helped. I'm getting conflicting and sometimes down right confusing answers so I'm bringing my question here.

Does anyone know or have any experience keeping ghost shrimp in a brackish tank?

I keep the sp gravity at 1.004.

I know that amano shrimp can handle the brackish waters and so can bamboo shrimp. Amanos are way to pricey around here and bamboos are filter feeders so they wouldn't be much help on a clean up crew.

So any ideas all?

1.004 should be fine.
they do ok in salt water for couple days (experienced while feeding my puffer in my SW tank, the ghost shrimp jumped around for 4days n finally killed by my puffer.)
so if they can live in 1.025 for 4days, they will be totally fine in 1.004.
I think my FW sg is not at 1.000 anyway, so you will be fine.

don't know much about them but thats my experience

i got some ghost shrimp and was told by several people on here that they will only breed in brackish water... so if they will only breed in brackish, that would lead me to believe they would be able to live in there with no problem, after being properly acclimated im sure

Cool. Thanks for the replies.

So I got a dozen, and they've been acclimating an hour so far. We'll see how it goes. In addition I finally got some bumble bee gobys!! Yay!

Ghost shrimp are good for scavenging and as detritius feeders but they are worthless as algae eaters, if that is what you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom