Brackish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, there are very few true brackish water cichlids. The only species I know of off the top of my head are in the genus etroplus, from Asia, specifically the Orange chromide.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've encountered oreochromis mosambicus in saltwater. In addition, the ancestors of cichlids came from the ocean.

It is a good idea to add aquarium salt. I have it in all of my tanks it keeps the bio in balance reduces stress and helps the fish feel like it's their natural enviornment.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just because a fish has been encountered in salt water does not mean it should be forced to live in them long term.

Many Centrals can be in low gravity brackish water for short amounts of time but should not be kept that way in the home aquarium.

Aquarium salt 100% does not need to be add and the fish will not suffer because of it.

I find people spend way to much time adding stuff that doesn't need to be there in the first place. All that's needed is water, dechlorinator, and any natural buffering agents like crushed coral or Indian almond leaf.

Mayan cichlids can tolerate salt if acclimated correctly

Mayan cichlids can tolerate salt if acclimated correctly

Most species found in waters near the coast can tolerate varying degrees of salinity as they often end up in mangrove swamps at some point and do venture to the sea, but very few can actually thrive in it like chromides and some tilapia species.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom