brand new puffer might be sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenayaisapunkrocker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
less than a week ago i became the proud new owner of 2 puffers one of them is getting that round puffer belly and is bright and cheery on the other hand the second one is kinda skinny and sickly lookin, what should i do. am i over parinoid cause im a new owner?:confused:

less than a week ago i became the proud new owner of 2 puffers one of them is getting that round puffer belly and is bright and cheery on the other hand the second one is kinda skinny and sickly lookin, what should i do. am i over parinoid cause im a new owner?:confused:

there green spotted puffers, he's doing better. It's just when he sleeps he lies on the bottom and all his color drains, its weird. But i think the bigger puffer is kinda bulling the other but its more of like a pecking order. I am having a problem keeping there water as warm as i want

What kind of water do you have them in? Brackish? Is the rounder one bullying the skinny one?

there green spotted puffers, he's doing better. It's just when he sleeps he lies on the bottom and all his color drains, its weird. But i think the bigger puffer is kinda bulling the other but its more of like a pecking order. I am having a problem keeping there water as warm as i want

fish better?

What size (watts) and type of heater are you running ? In my 20 gal , I ran a 100W Visi-Therm submersible . Set it to the desired temp and it kept it at a steady 75 degrees the entire time I used it .

If I remember correctly back when I had Puffers they need a water temp.of between 75 to 80 degrees, give or take . The 100W heater should be plenty to keep the water at that temp .

what is your salinity? When fish sleep, they lose their color. My fish are super bright and vibrant during the day, but if i turn the lights off for a few hours, then turn them back on, theyre all pale and lethargic. That part is completely normal. is the salinity, temp, and parameters stable?

another question this time food

well the heater seems to be working for now but im going to get a better one when i get a chance but now i have another questions(sorry i know but i new at this learning as i go) i tried feeding my puffers blood worms and shrimp pelets but they are way more into the tropical flakes. This is a bit concerning cause there dyed and less nutritional for the littel guys, i dont want them to get sick or stun their growth but i want them to eat

Fish can go a few days without food with no problem. They are probably just used to the flakes. You could try holding food for one or 2 days, and then feeding them to see if they take it.

Puffers aren't one of the easiest brackish water fish to start with. The water chemistry is something I would consider when one is acting a like yours. This will tell you how a little about them Green Spotted Puffer Profile (TROPICAL FISH ARTICLES)
Make sure you have snails for them to eat or you will have to do some oral surgery on them as well.

That's true. Their teeth get long if you don't have shells in there for them to eat, and you will have to clip them down yourself. YIKES!

Back
Top Bottom