Brand new tank advice...choosing friends!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherRD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all :) I have recently acquired my mothers 75 gallon tank...super exciting! It used to be the home of two feeder goldfish that my family has had since i was 7 years old! after living for fifteen years and growing to a foot long each it was time for them to go to heaven and my mom no longer wanted the tank. Now me and my husband can start our own fishy family :) While daydreaming about how to stock my new tank i envisioned tetras and danios and dwarf gouramis....maybe some albino corys. I wanted a peaceful tropical little freshwater village. yesterday we went to get a couple of fish to cycle with and my husband fell in love with the black moors. He knows nothing about fish but he wanted the chubby little googly eye fish how could i say no? lol. So now we have two fat little black moors named Brooks and Dunn (thank the hubby for that cleverness) and I am in a pickle. i know i cant have my tropical schooling fish now because of the different temp needs of the goldfish....also their sight and swimming handicap :)....but i also dont want to be resigned to a whole tank of just goldies either. anyone have any ideas on how to meet in the middle with this and keep all fishies healthy? any advice is appreciated thanks for reading!

Welcome to AA
You could attempt some white cloud mountain minnows. They are cool water schooling fish. They may become a snack for your goldies as they grow though.

Hi a tough one,as black moors are quite unique and require a tank to themselves really:( so a compromise will be very hard,sorry not to have been of more help.

What if you divide the tank in half with two solid pieces of glass with airspace in between(to help keep temperature stable? That way you can have Tropicals on one side and four goldies on the other( if you divide evenly in half)

thanks so much for the welcomes! white clouds are a great idea! I never thought of that thank you! I have also heard that some tetras and danios prefer a cooler temp...wonder if this is accurate...and also an important concern...that the moors arent harassed by the speedier swimmers.

Dividing the tank eh? never thought of that but doesnt seem like a likely possibility....dont think the hubby will go for all the hassle lol :)

There are also some cory species that do better in cooler water. Try searching for sub-tropical temperature fish or cool water fish. Check what range the goldfish are comfortable in, and then search for peaceful species that require similar water temperatures.

Just a heads up that cories have spines in their gills. If a larger fish (say a goldfish) attempts to eat them, they can become lodged in the fishes mouth/digestive tract killing both fish.

You really would do best just doing a fancy gold fish tank. White clouds can work but remember it's not just a temp issue. Heavy bodied goldfish especially produce copious amounts of waste and water quality can often be difficult. You need heavy filtration, I keep a Fluval 406 plus a Wisper EX70 HOB filter on both 55g fancy GF tanks. You can do a very nice tank with just fancy GF and white clouds if you have to have other fish. Plus you need to do a large WC weekly. I do 50% to keep water quality good along with the above filtration. You can add alittle interest by adding colorful snails like Golden or Magneta Mystery snails or Ramshorn snails in pink or blue. I even have plants in my GF tanks.

Back
Top Bottom