Brand New to SW and have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before I came to this site I had never heard of dosing for ammonia and I've had my tank running for 2 years. I realize that its required for bacterial growth but you get ammonia from the LR die off when its curing in your tank. That's enough to start your cycle. Maybe adding the additional ammonia helps cycle the tank faster because there's more food for the bacteria but your tank will cycle fine without it. It almost seems like people are doing it just so they can fill their tank sooner. If you add some clean up crew it will help the cycle along as well because hermits and snails do produce waste and bacteria would feed on that as well.

The ammonia thing threw me for a loop when I read about it. I couldn't imagine putting that in my tank. lol

I dosed up to 4ppm today and now am reading 1 ppm. Nitrite is up 1ppm and I've still got just the slightest tinge of orange in my trate test.

If my ammonia is down to 0 again in the morning should i keep redosing or try to get a small cuc? I'm in no rush for fish so I'm not on a speed cycle. I have the time and salt to do frequent water changes if necessary as well. I've since found even more little critters living in my tank. i think I even have a baby starfish. :)

So what's the consensus? Keep dosing or use cuc for my ammonia source? Would a CUC even be able to generate enough waste for the bacteria?

Questions, questions got your questions right here!

Thanks

I think your tank is ready for a small Clean up crew. The rock was already in an established tank so that makes a huge difference. As long as your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are stable tomorrow your good to go. Start small for now. 5 hermits and 5 snails wouldn't add a big bio load to your tank so the chances of an ammonia spike after adding them is slim. Just make sure to test daily and if you see a spike do a water change immediately.

Thanks so much. looking forward to tomorrow. Hopefully it goes back down to zero on the ammonia again. What does the cuc consume? I dont have to feed them do i? If so that will further boost my ammonia won't it? Then again it should be converted to nitrite anyways I believe.

i wouldn't add anything unless there was no detectable ammonia or nitrite. crabs and snails eat algae and detritus. if there is none in the tank, then you'll have to provide it.

I just did my morning test and I'm reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites but only 5ppm on the nitrate. Where is all this ammonia going? Shouldn't I have seen a nitrite spike before any trates showed up?

I'm not using any ammonia or nitrite chemicals for reduction either.

Thank you ! :-D

Sounds like your cycle is complete! 4 posts up you mentioned nitrite at 1 ppm. If you are now getting nitrates and zero ammonia and nitrite that means the ammonia is getting processed completely and the nitrite is getting processed completely leaving only the nitrate, so congrats! I don't think you have to see a big spike in nitrite for your cycle to complete.

You can test this by adding in some flakes and if all are still zero tomorrow you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom