Breeders - Color Change Probability.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, my extremely large female Ryunkin/Red Cap Oranda mix is starting a color change. I have read the Rainbow Garden article on colors, mats and changes and have to admit it confuses me a bit.

Dash was pure mettalic white with a red cap that extends onto the shoulders when I brought her home. Her wen is extremely nominal.

I make sure that my fishes diets contain plenty of Vitamin C and beta carotene for health and intense color. Dashes initial noticeable change was her beautiful, flowing finnage developing a very nice yellowish hue. She now has one small red spot on each side.

The latest thing that I have noticed is that she is turning yellowish under her neck. I have also noticed some scales that are now light yellow. A few of the yellow scales look mat instead of metallic. Is she indeed going to do a complete or partial change to yellow. Is it possible that those few mat scales are new ones grown after an injury (they aren't grouped together though). Will a metallic fish turn mat? Is yellow a stable color or will it also transition?

I need a Dummies Guide to Fish Color.

I didn't have a spare moment to get a picture before the timer turned off the lights but I can get you one tomorrow if you would like. Thanks guys.

Hi! Yes, Steve's article is quite a but to swallow! And it's only a very brief explanation in respect to genetics and probabilities of colors and their possibilities for changes. One book I have devotes hundreds of pages in an attempt to try and demystify it a bit but as it is quite dated, technology that presently exists likely would be more apt at a scientific explanation (likely, an even more complicated one!).

Simply put, if you are seeing color changes, they are happening and there is nothing that can really be done to stop them. Whites can and do take on a characteristic 'yellow' hue. Can diet play a part? To some degree, it can affect coloration. Top Japanese and Chinese breeders feed very specific diets and the 'white' formulations run in the hundreds of dollars for a few grams/ounces of food. Way beyond my affordability so I can not attest if they actually work or not.

The odd colored scales are likely nothing more than specific genes being turned on (or off) in that locale rather than the result of injury. If your fish is happy and healthy, that's all that really matters! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dash is very healthy, happy and extremely large. She is already 6" to 8" as an
young adult. That is just her body size. I know for sure she is a female after 2 mating seaons.

When the moderators try to tell you that your healthy baby is going to get large...... listen.

I will post a pic of my beautiful Red Cap Oranda/Ryunkin soon. I agree with you that healthy is most important. She loves to b use her tail fins to get me wet at morning feeding. Just her way of saying, "Hi Mom"!

I love the yellow patches that are developing. They are a beautiful yellow l.

I am more anxious for you to see pictures of my Lionchu, Mrs. Wiggles. She is a perfect, fat, calico triangle and yet has no swim bladder issues. She purposely does airplane maneuvers and then rights herself. Silly girl. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom