Breeding albino bristlenose plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all just wanted to know the success rate of breeding these kind of plecos. Also, if they do successfully mate, would I have to remove the eggs before they get eaten? Or just the fry? This is an awesome site and app. Thanks for all the help.

We are new to breeding albino bn plecos but I can tell you what we have learned so far. The father will stay with the eggs; we have a rock he hides in with the eggs. He fans his fins over the eggs so if you see the male fanning, there are probably eggs. A partial water change with cooler water can trigger spawning. I had once read that the mother would eat the eggs/fry but now I don't know that to be true...someone else might be able to give more information there. I do know other fish will snack on the fry. We had kept a previous batch in a mesh box so they were in the same tank. Now we have a separate tank for the plecos and their fry. We used a 29 gal tank with no gravel on the bottom and a sponge filter system for a lower current. They poop a lot so it takes daily cleaning with a turkey baster to keep the fish healthy. Hope this helps some. If you search online, you'll find several sites that have great articles to learn more.

Back
Top Bottom