Breeding Betta Fish.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kris_toledo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello, I have a male betta fish and right now it is making a lot of bubbles at the surface of the water. I heard that if I take out the male and put a female in the tank, then the female can produce little ones. Can I do this??

Hi, I read your question. I had babies. The male and female must be left in the tank together. The male builds the bubble nest then squeezes the eggs out of the female and carries them up to the bubble nest. After a day I removed my female from the tank and the male guarded the nest until the babies start to hatch. Don't feed him during this time. When the babies hatch you'll see a lot of tiny tadpole like things dipping down from the nest and going back up to it. That's when you remove the male from the tank. There is a good web site for information on them. It's www.Bettasrus.com. Good Luck.
Elaine

thanks

hey thanks for a quick reply...I think I'll take a shot at breeding my male betta fish...thanks for the help......THIS SITE RULES....hehehe...

hey, if you are successful, let us know--that would be pretty neat---my sis tried a few times to breed betas, but the male always killed the female--i would guess it is because of the look of the newer female bettas--they look like males! just shorter fins--anybody remember the original female betta? plain jane? are they selling these gals all over now? I can't believe how much they changed in such a short period---selective breeding at it's best i guess...best of luck!

hey

yeah I'll let all you guys know if I'm successful or not...I think my betta is pretty old, it's not as hyper as my sister's male betta. I hope I am successful. I'll keep you guys up to date....Thanks. :lol: :lol:

SUCCESSFUL!!!

:lol:
I tried breeding my bettas about a month ago and they just wouldn't do it. My female tore many of the fins of my male, I felt sorry for him, so I took him out. I decided to buy another male to try it out again. I went to the LFS and saw him. He looked so proud and snobby. I just had to get him, he looked like a loverman..hahahha...So yeah, anyway, I tried today, and...it WORKED.. I actually saw it all happening. I went on that 'bettasrus" site and it was a lot of help. I followed everything that they told me to do and it worked just fine. Right now the male is guarding the nest with the eggs and the female is now recovering. She was torn up pretty bad, and the male looked like he wasn't even touched. Good choice by picking him up huh? Anyways, I'll let you guys know how they progress :turn-l:

Make sure you have some Small Fry for egg layers in. You'll need to start feeding them after they are born. Good Luck!

Make sure you have some Small Fry for egg layers in. You'll need to start feeding them after they are born. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom