Breeding betta questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megos1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been doing some research and I'm thinking about breeding my bettas. I read that the best food for the free-swimming fry would be along the lines of paramecium, I also read that the fry cannot eat baby brine shrimp until they are 1 week of age.

What do I need to culture my own paramecium? (I heard to put hay in a jar) How long does the culture take to mature enough where I can harvest? I want to have the food ready for the little ones before they can eat just in case! ( I don't want to starve them and kill the whole clutch.)

Is there anyone out there who has succesfully done this and has tips for me?! They would be greatly greatly appreciated!

-Thanks guys!
-Megan

I've been breeding beta's for 10yrs. For the first 3 to 4 days they'll eat the eggs shack. Once there free swimming I fed boiled egg yolk ( super high in protain ) for the 2nd week/ By the 3rd week there large enough for live brine shrimp. I switch off between BBS to egg yolk. I've fed walterworms to a couple of my frys and had a large amount of loss. I've had a better luck and larger fry live using the boiled yolk and BBS.Plus they grow faster.

Back
Top Bottom