Breeding Black Convict Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i'm still in the setup phase for this, but i have a question.

what kind of substrate should i use for my 40G Breeder? i have Flourite which i plan to use as one layer, but i wasnt sure if i should use really small gravel or use a medium to large type gravel.

any suggestions or comments are welcome.

thanks

To be honest, it wouldn't matter what you use. When they're ready to dig out a nest for the wigglers, they'll move anything.

As for the plants themselves, I have plants in sand, small sized gravel, medium and large, they all grow well.

Yeah hopeful, I would rethink the Flourite with convicts. As dragonfish said they will move anything in the way. In some cases down to the glass. That means a cloudy tank with Flourite IMO. Your probably better off with a small pebble or sand substrate and save the flourite for a planted tank.

well i was gonna make this a planted breeding tank but i guess i could still plant it without the flourite?...

so skip the flourite then i guess

You could do it but what Iv read about Flourite is that its best undisturbed. With convicts being earth movers that's just not going to happen.

well thanks for pointing that out for me... i didn't know that and it would've be a pain to find out the hard way :)

anything else you think i should know that i might not? (this is going to be my first attempt so i feel confident saying that i dont know much lol)

Just to have a fry tank setup and running. Because with convicts it's not "if" but "when" they start breeding, they won't stop. I would also get with a LFS to see if they will want to buy or give you store credit for the young or learn to ship and sell on eBay, craigs list or this forum.

good point, i'll contact my LFS and see if they're interested... i'm pretty sure petsmart and petco don't do that but Pristine may

yeah all of the big box stores are under contract with their suppliers. That's why they wont even take a stray you might happen to bring then. It would have to be a "mom & pop" store.

yea Pristine may be my best bet, or members of this forum.

Pristine isn't a major chain, they may have one or two stores and they're right around the corner

Back
Top Bottom