Breeding cherry shrimp !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dpfitness23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need help on breeding cherry shrimp.. What are your tips? and how easy is it? Can they be sexed? How many babies per female?... :dance:

Sexing is easy. The males are slightly smaller and less colourful than the females and the females have what looks like a white saddle on the back which is the undeveloped eggs. As in looking after them they are pretty easy I find, just do what you do to look after your fish pretty much

thanks for the help guys :) ... Im breeding platys in a 75 thinking about throwing a dozen cherry shrimp in with them. And mate them

hahaha... nice... According to online you can house up to 150 in a ten gallon tank!.... Im not going to do that tho,,, seems like to much

Hey dp, let me know if you have any luck, I put about a dozen in a 10g as well and I'm waiting for some babies... None yet though, it will be a week on Sun.

I have 40 RCS in a 29 tank. I haven't gotten my java moss yet, but I see tiny mircro shrimps at the top of my tank against the glass. They are eating stuff at the border of water line. I'm trying to get Java Moss asap though.

I also see one female trying to give birth. It seems like she was having a hard time. Its been day 2 and nothing has come out yet. She goes to the same spot to give birth.

Starting my Nano tank next week, ofcourse....all the cycling first but probably by August I'll be underway....want to start also with RCS and see how things pan out.

Cool, please let us know if you're successful. I haven't seen any baby RCS in my tank yet, although I think I've seen them mating...

warthog76za said:
Starting my Nano tank next week, ofcourse....all the cycling first but probably by August I'll be underway....want to start also with RCS and see how things pan out.

Be safe

this is for jim and DP,

IME shrimp are very prone to stress. when they get stressed they no longer reproduce. it took mine about 1 month after putting them in my tank to start breeding. also with plecos and java moss, make sure you have kinda like a ball of it, so its dense enough for them to hide in and the pleco's not able to gobble' em up

Back
Top Bottom