Breeding cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a breeding pair of apisto cacas they have claimed a cave as theres but today the male will not let her around he chases her away any guesses

Are you sure he isn't baby sitting the eggs already? I believe with the appistos (my gbr anyway) the male takes over after the female lays the eggs.

Julie

This sounds perfectly normal to me. I have a pair of breeding peacock gudgeons; the male guards the eggs 24/7 in their cave while the female leaves them alone. Many males have the duty to care for the eggs, being territorial or aggressive while guarding them. Once they hatch, you should see his behavior return to normal (unless he eats all the fry. ;D)

Rosenweiss said:
This sounds perfectly normal to me. I have a pair of breeding peacock gudgeons; the male guards the eggs 24/7 in their cave while the female leaves them alone. Many males have the duty to care for the eggs, being territorial or aggressive while guarding them. Once they hatch, you should see his behavior return to normal (unless he eats all the fry. ;D)

Ya see? Someone helped!!! :Dlol

The female is the one that guards eggs in every pair of apistos I have bred. In fact, the male will often eat the free swimmers if he isn't removed. The female should be an excellent parent and she will fiercely guard her fry.

You will know when your cacatuoides are ready to spawn because the female will turn bright yellow with a dark slash through her eyes. When you see this, spawning is imminent. The male will brighten up as well, but it's the female that has the most drastic color change. She will remain in spawning color as she is guarding her eggs and fry. Hope this helps!

severum mama said:
The female is the one that guards eggs in every pair of apistos I have bred. In fact, the male will often eat the free swimmers if he isn't removed. The female should be an excellent parent and she will fiercely guard her fry.

You will know when your cacatuoides are ready to spawn because the female will turn bright yellow with a dark slash through her eyes. When you see this, spawning is imminent. The male will brighten up as well, but it's the female that has the most drastic color change. She will remain in spawning color as she is guarding her eggs and fry. Hope this helps!

Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom