Breeding cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrskater1999

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i am considering starting an african cichlid breeding tank in my 25 gal. What kinds of cichlids would be inexpensive, fun to breed, and what would make me some money on the fry? How do i tell when the pairs are spawning and when the female is holding eggs? Thanks!

So i am considering starting an african cichlid breeding tank in my 25 gal. What kinds of cichlids would be inexpensive, fun to breed, and what would make me some money on the fry? How do i tell when the pairs are spawning and when the female is holding eggs? Thanks!

I would stick with one type of fish and get like 3 males to one female with alot of rock work. I would probably do afra cobue they are very cool to look at and not easy to find around my neck of the woods but thats all up to you on what you do. Mouthbroaders you'll notice them look like their chewing on bubble gum and the gills will be puffed out.

Last edited:
For a 25G tank, I'd recommend an apisto pair/trio (or like dwarf SA cichlid) or shell dwellers if you want to stick to africans. It won't be large enough to be a breeding tank for malawis IMO.

Back
Top Bottom