Breeding common plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can someone fill me in with some info on breeding common plecos?

They have to be adult size to breed. And I heard it is difficult to breed the common pleco since they have to grow a lot and they are really slow at growing. The easiest pleco to breed would be the bristle nose pleco

The major obstacle would be providing a large enough tank and adequate filtration.

Why breed them when they're by far the most available pleco and almost all end up in tanks way to small for them. But yes thing a huge tank

My bristlenoses starting breeding at about 3 inches maybe if that the male had only.just grown his bristles and.we were cleaning.the tank out and noticed little babies i wasnt even.awared they had been.busy breeding it just happened after we added driftwood to the tank unfortuneatlynwe lost the parents due to shifting house and only one baby survived and we called him lucky as he has survived alot but does take for ever to grow

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright thanks for the help and sorry to everyone who thought this was a dumb question i just started this hobby about six months ago im still learning

Alright thanks for the help and sorry to everyone who thought this was a dumb question i just started this hobby about six months ago im still learning

No such thing as a dumb question :). Was just wondering why you'd want to breed such monsters. Sorry if I came off wrong :(

Back
Top Bottom