Breeding for fun and profit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot to mention the stress. If you are actually wanting to turn a small profit it can be a stressful endeavor. Fish get sick, fish die, all sorts of things can happen. My biggest mess ups have been not having a well thought out plan far in advance and impulse buying too many strains of guppies because I could.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My best advice would be take your time. My breeding project is starting very slowly, just getting my second strain of fish after about 6 months. But that time gives you room to perfect the strain you are breeding. So I wouldn't rush by any means.

Ik you said you don't wanna get expensive fish but if I had the chance and expertise I'd try those Lf14 I believe there called? The zebra plecos. Those things are expensive

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Heck yeah^ they cost $$$. The most I can get my hands on are fake zebras... Which I don't have a big enough to tank for :(

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

I think I will end up trying to breed discus. I will definitely check with the one LFS that I haven't talked to but I might just have to end up shipping them. I'll see what the store has to say.
On a side note I'm definitley not going to buy an zebra plecos. I'm not made of money like some of you seem to be :p

You definitely have to network if you are going to be successful. My LFS is family owned and I always go in there. At first it was just talking with them about different types of fish..fresh, brackish, and salt. Now after so long we trade advice instead of them just trying to sell me things. We talk about new products and sometimes they show me new catalogs of products and ask my advice on what they might want to stock. It's a good relationship that we both benefit from. The owner is also always asking me for coral frags to sell although I only have Zoas and haven't ever tried fragging.

you need to take into account 2 things, does the lfs you are going to sell to have them regularly? and do people want them? if you your lfs dosen't have guppys but would buy them you have a big opportunity, lots of beiginres and experts like guppy's and they are ezey so people with just a decoration tank may buy them, so see what they don't have that is popular

Back
Top Bottom