Breeding guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D-vanhorn90

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a male cobra guppy with 2 females in a ten gallon tank. What should be done to encourage them to start mating?

You really dont need to do much, you could keep your temp at 82degrees F that should kick start breeding

bruinsbro1997 said:
Add water :D, if that doesn't work feed them some frozen bloodworms and they'll start breeding endlessly.

had them together for a day now. The females are equal size, one slightly larger than the male. Pictures might not be clear. I dont need to raise the temp at all?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111008_234348.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111008_234348.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 97
This is how the feme-bots look as of today. Its tge best picture I could get of them while their stomachs are full and slow moving. Idk if theyre prego. I had tge male in with them for about a week or more. I feed them every other day freeze dried bloodworms.

Attachments

• 110311151415a.jpg
    110311151415a.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 93
Breeding Guppies

Hello D...

A few ideas for the future. You don't need to buy male Guppies. Just buy the females. Males and females are raised together, so the females are already pregnant.

Since you already have a male, you need to get a couple of more females, so the male can take turns chasing one female at a time. This gives the other females a lot of rest.

Float some plants in the tank. Water sprite is the best. It provides nourishment for the fish and cover for the females and eventual fry.

You really need a larger tank. The smallest I'd recommend is 20 gallons. A 30 G is better. I keep Fancy Guppies, but in much larger tanks. Guppies need a lot of room to swim.

One other thing. If conditions aren't right, the females can put a hold on giving birth. Just something to keep in mind if you want to consider giving your Guppies a larger home.

B

ive got babies about 12 so far. One females head is really dark is she in labor cause the other one doesnt have the spot.

agreed. Im not going industrial here im trying to just get some babies if some fall, well thats nature. And I think im ok with just a ten, ten gallons are under-rated. And I also have a baby net and a 29 gallon tank. After I accumulate more babies im gonna put them in perhaps my 5 for a while or back in the ten and put the fems in the bigger tank. Idk either or they should be ok. Im more concerned with them getting food easily.

Back
Top Bottom