Breeding Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brock1588

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

Im wanting to start breeding guppies and just would lile some advice or tips to help me.

I have 3 Males and 8 Females in my tank, im under the impression that you are ment to keep 2 females to 1 male.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A310F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, welcome to the forum :) Is this a new fish tank?

Around 1 male to 2 or 3 females gives the females a break from the attention ime so I think you have a reasonable ratio there.

Thanks, yeah its a new tank just purchased a Aqua Nursery aswell today so hopefully i can get my new tank and fingers crossed my guppies will reproduce lol

Pretty safe on them doing so :) I've found a few hiding spots or plastic / live plants will also help the young avoid being snacks. Fantastic to see the young ones swimming around when they get more adventurous.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What time frame would you think it takes for the males and the females to mate ive had my tank for a month now and the fish for just under 3 weeks.....any tips on what i should look for

It's meant to be a month but mine always took weeks longer, especially the first time.

Mainly I think just watch for too much harassment from the males.

OOH I LOVE GUPPIES! How big is your tank? How long have you had the guppies for? My first guppies took a month or so to breed and the more times they do the more often they'll breed. Or that's usually the case :) If you really want to keep the fry make sure you have tons of plants (like hornwort I think) and decor (optional) to hide in OR you can get a breeding box like I did where you can put the mother and take her out after she's done. If you decide to go with the breeding box I like the netted cube one. Guppy fry are not too tiny so you can usually spot them around the tank. Guppies breed like crazy so you'll find guppies all over soon!! Keep up updated :)

Its roughly 15ltr tank, only had the guppies for bout 3-4 weeks.

i just bought a new tank its only a smallish one but ive got it especially for when my guppsters do have babies and i can put them in there.

Also got a new breeding box but i need a way to get some suction so that the babies get pulled into the other chamber

Back
Top Bottom