Breeding guppys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graemecookie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Want to start breeding guppies but is there a certain temp I need my water? Also how many guppies shall I get. I got 160 litre tank . Any ideas??

I recommend that you start with 3 females and on male. The females will quickly get pregnant and you will have a tank full of guppies in no time.

Choose from a LFS stock instead of a chain store like petsmart or petco.They usually have healthier fish. Choose three females around an inch long and one male 3/4-1 inch long.
Make sure you have java moss or some sort of cover or a fry tank otherwise the fry will get all eaten. Breeder traps stress them out.

Thanks guys. My temp on tank is about 82 to 84 does that need to be changed??? Also the moss u mentioned can u get fake moss or do u need real moss??

Keep you temp between 78-82 which is where mine sits. I have fake plants in my tanks my 55 is set up. get 3 females to 1 male as a ratio. More often then not they are pregnant when you buy them. I'm new to breeding but under the breeding section I just posted pics of the amount of platy and guppy fry that I have in my breeding net.

I used to have real plants but found that they make my water dirty and always have bits of plants floating around in the tank. Really want them to breed but not sure if they will.

Breeding Guppies

Want to start breeding guppies but is there a certain temp I need my water? Also how many guppies shall I get. I got 160 litre tank . Any ideas??

Hello G...

If you're getting Guppies from the local pet store, you don't need to buy males. The females will already be pregnant and if you keep the tank water extremely clean, you'll have plenty of males later. The males simply bother the females all the time and the females don't need the stress. Get the tank well planted with a lot of floating plants like Water wistera and Pennywort and keep the adults well fed. I have a very high fry survival rate, because I feed well. I've found that well fed adults have little or no interest in the fry.

I started with 6 females several years ago and now have 7 large tanks with about 1,500 or so individuals and some very nice Corydoras.

B

How can u be so sure that the females are pregnant already???? In my tank I have a few shrimps, dainos, a red tailed shark a hoplosternum catfish and some tetras

Breeding Fancy Guppies

Hello again G...

The commercial hatcheries raise both sexes together, so as soon as the fry are old enough to breed, they do. By raising all the fish together,there are always a lot of fish to sell. The more you sell, the more money you make.

My tanks are very crowded, but Fancy Guppies are extremely social fish and I find they do best in large numbers of their own kind. Crowded tanks require pure water conditions and a lot of plants, so I change out half the water in my tanks every week. This guarantees stable water properties for the fish and plants.

B

Back
Top Bottom