Breeding in a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teply

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently in the planning stages of a planted tank in which I want to practice breeding fish. I want a small simple tropical fish, that are easy to breed. Any suggestions on fish types and plant types and any other things I should plan for would be great.

I'm still in the planning stages, I'm up for live bearers and egg layers.

Angels generally spawn pretty easy after they pair up, but they can get kinda nasty with each other.

My breeding pair of angels don't get too nasty with each other. Actually they don't fight each other at all. Just chase away the other fish. It's very interesting watching them. I guess it depends on their personality lol. The marble is female and white one is male. Had them both since they were the size of about a quarter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1405156160793.jpg
    1405156160793.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 68
Guppies, endlers, zebra danios, killifish, black neon tetras are cool breeders.if I had to give plants it would be java moss (large clump) water wisteria. Cambodia. Java fern.

I'm not sure if I want angels, I'm thinking of starting with something smaller that can half live off of live plants in the tank. I like the idea of killifish and tetras and the such. Your recommendation of plants really helps. What kind of supplies should I look at getting, such as filters and such and other things that will help with breeding.?

I'm not sure if I want angels, I'm thinking of starting with something smaller that can half live off of live plants in the tank. I like the idea of killifish and tetras and the such. Your recommendation of plants really helps. What kind of supplies should I look at getting, such as filters and such and other things that will help with breeding.?

Sponge filters or a sponge prefilter if you run a HOB filter. Something to feed the fry ( I suggest brine shrimp for livebearers)

If u can't get ahold of brine shrimp. Try hikari first bites. That's pretty good. Get some freeze dried blood worms for the parents to encourage breeding. Heater of course but some like a Lower temp to breed some like hotter. Just research more on the fish and it will tell u.

For live-bearer fry, really just crush up flake foods. It works fine.

For egg layers, I feed frozen daphnia, frozen baby brine shrimp, Hikari first bites, micro worms and vinegar eels.

Yeah, when it comes to egg layers, I treat my babies like gold.

As for plants, I use najas (guppy grass) and subwassertang moss. The little guys love hiding in it.

Angels generally spawn pretty easy after they pair up, but they can get kinda nasty with each other.

Angelfish like many cichlids need enemy fish or so called fodder fish. Having a common enemy will strengthen the bond between mates. Even using a mirror can produce the same effect. Without fodder fish, the mates can turn on each other. In the wild, pairs are never totally alone. Just make sure the fodder fish is not strong enough to overpower the pair (like an Oscar or red devil) and not weak/slow enough to get killed by the angelfish (like male guppies). You can also buy large 10x10 inch mirrors from Target for $5 (cheapest I could find anywhere including online/eBay).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For live-bearer fry, really just crush up flake foods. It works fine.

I did an experiment feeding molly fry with crushed Tetra brand flakes versus baby brine shrimp. After 1 month the brine shrimp eaters were almost double size of the flake eaters. Both groups raised inside breeding traps suspended within the same 20 gallon aquarium.

I also did the same test feeding subadult (very young adult) molly Tetra flakes versus Hikari freeze dried bloodworms. Bloodworm eaters became double size of flake eaters after 1 month. Bloodworms cost more than flakes but saves you time if your goal is rapid growth.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom