Breeding Kribs + Pleco = BAAAAD! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asymphony

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone have kribs breed with a pleco in the tank?

Anthropomorphically, the pleco just seems like an *******.

It all started with him doing his regular cleaning routine, but to me it seemed that when realized whenever he went to the krib cave, they would attack him.

But it just seems like he'd go to the cave to start ****, and then would randomly attack either krib before they'd attack him!

The kribs moved from the cave to crevice in my driftwood, and the pleco follows.

Is he just a deviant? Or are plecos seemingly more aggressive? I think he's become more aggressive because the kribs were aggressive first.

Also, any advice what to do? The pleco just keeps LOOKING for trouble, methinks.

Sigh.

cheers!

Also, plecos don't EAT baby fish, they're herbivores? Or is he going after the babies? I don't know...

He'll eat the eggs and babies if he can get ahold of them. I suggest you move him to another tank or find anohter home for him if you are trying to breed the kribs. You should only have what you are trying to breed in a tank by themselves IMO. Some people would suggest that dither fish strengthen the bond between the pair and that it encourages better parental insticnts but that's usually with larger fish.

Hmm, he was there first and then my friend just gave me the kribs since she got rid of her tank...

Would bristlenose plecos be the same nuisance? Would anyone recommend another type of algae eater in lieu of my pleco?

My experience with plecs is that I don't trust them. The only thing I feel safe with when it comes to algae is otocinclus. For algae without attacking fry they would be a better choice. The down side is that the kribs will attack any bottom dweller when they have staked out a breeding territory. Although an oto would do no real harm, that won't matter to the kribs.

Back
Top Bottom