Breeding net

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan24

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any good ways to build a custom breeding , like in materials that would be safe ? Mesh , Wire , and clamp ?

I would steer clear of using anything that is metal, such as wire. You could build a breeder box out of plastic mesh and plastic zip ties and have it mounted against the glass with suction cups. :)

Ok thank you , I'm wanting to make one for 2 tanks , but I need something sturdy for the side so the mesh doesn't fold in on itself . Hmm maybe some wrap twist ties too make a box shape and put mesh around it then use twist ties to hold mesh on ?

Then suction cup it too the sides or would it be better to hang on the side ?

Oops. I think I've got plastic mesh confused with plastic canvas sheets. You can get the canvas sheets cheap at a craft store, and the best thing is, they come in a variety of colors, even clear (which isn't too clear, but it's a nice thought). It is very sturdy, so it wouldn't fold over, but it's light enough that suction cups would hold it up with ease. You can cut the sheets down to whatever size you prefer, or if it's for bigger fish, you can connect two pieces together ( I couldn't imagine you needing to do that though).
Instead of using twist ties, you could use fishing line and bind the corners together that way. The thing about twist ties, is that most of them have wire inside of them, and the ends are usually exposed. I'm not sure how dangerous it would be. I was always told to never put metal in tanks because it will eventually kill the fish.

Ok :) , I'm going too look into it , is there such thing as plastic wire or something flexible I can bend too shape?

You could create a divider like this. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390618939.186696.jpg it's made of mesh found in the knitting crafts isle, and report cover things. :)

Nice that can work as a complete divider , and maybe I could cut it in rectangular or square shapes and tie together . Too make one I can hang or suction cup it

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390621877.560873.jpg
I set the glue bottle next to for size reference.
The plants in the bottom don't come with it, I sewed those in.
I got it a while back because I noticed fry in my tank late one night, and Walmart was the only thing open. I didn't think they would have one and I was going to get some plastic mesh from the craft department to build something until my lfs opened the next day.
It ended up working fairly well for as cheap as it is.

Back
Top Bottom