Breeding Pairs of Bettas -- some advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay...I have two breeding pairs currently going and they're both breeding today. I have my pair that I've bred before (my male didn't keep the bubble nest up last time but my female's bred twice with him now [his second time] and one other time with another) and they're doing just great so far, so many eggs. My OTHER pair however are both new at this and my dumb male is biting the CRAP out of her after he squeezes the eggs from her and she just floats there and is completely ignoring the eggs. I'm hoping he'll get the kick in the head that'll say "GO GET THE EGGS!" but I don't know and I'm getting ready to pull the female out so she doesn't like...die. Do you think he'll remember the eggs are there or just leave them on the ground? x.x

edit: Nevermind...Houston we have eggs in a bubble nest :D

Many first time parents have trouble figuring out what to do. Especially humans, but it happens to lower orders too. Sounds like they worked things out for themselves. Is the male leaving the female alone now?

I do have another question though....

Generally don't the males NOT eat when they're watching the babies/eggs because both my males just totally stole the frozen bloodworms from my females lol

Most male betta's wont eat ti the fry is 3 to 4 days old. My Male HM's don't even touch food til the fry is free swimming or an til I remove him from the tank usaually on the 4th day.

Heh, I had one that ate them once they started falling out of the nest and swam back up and then I had another who took care of them during that stage for about a day and then ate them all XP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom