Breeding platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agentamalia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 males and 4 females in a tank and I was wondering if they were to have babies do I have to move the babies to another tank or will some of them still make it? I have a small cave and some grass type plants I got at the store specifically for fry. I'm just hoping some will make it atleast

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

so i say if you can get another tank do so, i have a 20 gallon for babies, but i have like 15 live bearers and like 50-100 fry, for you i think you could get a 10 gallon and that would be great, use a sponge filter. and if you have a ton of plants in your tank, than you will get some fry and use some floating plans those catch the babies the best i use plastic for those and the rest are live but the top one catches the fry the best.

I have another tank set up already I just didn't wanna have to try to move them.. If I know the female is pregnant can I just put her in that tank to have them then move her back to the regular tank? If so will I still need plants and stuff

i would get some plants for that tank, and yes you can put her in the tank try to be gentle with her. plants will catch the babies well, and make her fell better when they give birth they like to hide when giving birth do giver her a variety of plants, and make sure she gets food while giving birth so she wont eat her young.

do as many live plants as you can, they are great java fern is the best for babies, they can hide in it and they make some microscopic organisms that they can eat (you still have to feed them)

Keeping Platys

I have 2 males and 4 females in a tank and I was wondering if they were to have babies do I have to move the babies to another tank or will some of them still make it? I have a small cave and some grass type plants I got at the store specifically for fry. I'm just hoping some will make it atleast

Hello ag...

I've never moved the Platy fry when they show up in the tank. I just make sure the tank is heavily planted with Hornwort, Anacharis and Anubias. I feed all the fish a variety of food most days. Well fed adult Platys show little or no interest in their fry.

B

Well it seems anytime I walk into the room the fish want to be fed lol I'm worried I'd over feed them I don't even know if they will breed I just want to know in advance lol

they will breed, live plants help though, if you water is good, and they are happy then they will breed.

Well I think they are happy. No compressed fins water conditions are good. One of my males is following a couple of my females he switches between the two and he swims right next to them. Right on them. What does that mean?

that means they are happy and healthy, the male is trying to mate with them, you will notice his anal fin is pointing forward and he is attempting to poke the female with his fin.

I did see him doing that I just didn't know what was happening haha yay

Well I need to go get a sponge filter. Then I'll be set! I'm excited!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426118109.289076.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426118128.662427.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426118175.439397.jpg

I got 3 of the 4 females they are quick lol the third pic it's the one with the black tail.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426118310.513790.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426118327.880354.jpg

These are my males in the second pic the male is the darker one and he is all up in my lady again lmao

ok the full gold one is actually a gold Mollie, and will not mate with the platys, so if you want to breed her you will need some mollys (male and 2 females) and they breed the same (if not more) i have had mollies, platys and guppy the mollies have breed the best, the platy is second, and the guppy has died in child birth nearly every time.

Back
Top Bottom