Breeding ryukins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was considering breeding two of my ryukins. I have no idea although what I would need to do or if my ryukins are even old enough to breed. Tbh I had them in a five gal before I joined this website. Then i found out that was way too small. Now they're pretty happy in my 37gal. Only three of them. Two females and one male. Since they've been in this tank they've grown alot :) they look happier. What would i need to breed them? How many babies would they estimatly have? How big of a tank would i need for the fry until they are big enough to be rehomed? They're about 2-3 inches long. How would i keep the eggs from being eaten? Oooo also what would i need to feed the fry? I know its alot of questions sorry I'm just curious

Hi! At 2-3in , they are likely not mature yet although they may likely be stunted from living in the 5g. If they are going to expend energy on reproduction, they will do so on their own. This may not happen, however, due to stunting (and alot of other reasons as well). Only time will tell! Heres a thread on goldfish I posted elsewhere- you will find some more info here! :)
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

I read in several places and also called an aquatic vet to ask about the specifics but I dont think they're stunted. As he explained it to me the high nitrate levels cause the goldfishes body to produce a hormone that slows growth as a survival thingy. But unless the goldfish is kept in those conditions for years they wont be completly stunted at the chemical will eventually work its way out of the fishes body. And they have grown about an inch since I moved them into the larger tank. Good to know they're not big enough tho. Cant wait till they are :) I think I wanna breed fish someday.

Yes, I am aware of the hormone aspect but its a bit more complex than saying its just from high nitrates. This is why goldfish breeders practice hefty water change schedules for optimum growth and inducing breeding behaviors (as in 100% daily). That they are growing is a positive sign! But, there is no guarentee they will ever breed. I have some mature, adult goldies that have zero interest in the opposite sex. As I said, only time will tell! :)

Oooo okay I hope so. Road runner my male is getting pretty big and he seems like he'd definetly be intrested but like you said only time will tell. He's pretty bossy with the females in the tank. One question, will a mystery snail be okay in there? Theres alot of alge its gross

Just make sure he doesnt harm the girls! Dominant males can be very aggressive with females & other males (to the point of serious injury or death). Mystery snails/other snails (I like japense trapdoor snails) are fine as long as they are big enough they cant fit in anyones mouth or they will become dinner. Good luck with your guys (and girls)!! :)

He just sorta chases them and bumps them with his side. And the snails i wanna get are about the same size as my ryukins bodys

Back
Top Bottom