Breeding Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes you can def feed them tums. I feed them to mine all the time, but the little ones will not be ready for it. It is good for the female though as she is about to put out a lot of calcium and other vitamins to lay the clutch.

i dont have little one.. can i cut up fruits? just toss em in there?

I don't know about fruit...they like blanched zuchinni, green beans, things of that nature, and you can either stick a fork in them and drop them in the tank, or nuke them in the microwave until they sink.

I think in your other thread I was explaining also that you can use regular calcium tabs as an alternative to tums, but either one works, the tabs are just less messy in the water. You can also make snail jello (like I posted in the last thread) with powdered calcium or crushed tums. All these things are really good for your breeding females. Their shell growth can get really bad after they lay a clutch if they don't have the vitamins they need to promote healthy new growth.

Or you can throw a cuddle bone in your aquarium. I also sprinkle some hermit crab sand on my substrate so when the snail is grazing, it eats the sand. Its an all natural calcium subtrate.

I will try later. I am returning my fish that are getting sick.. because I have 3 goldfish in one 10 gal tank and just using the credit on buying more snails!!!

cuttlebone is literally bone of cuttlefish, but a lot of people use it for their birds and reptiles (I think). I have tried using it for my brigg snails, but it makes a huge mess in the tank if you crush it, and it is hard for them to eat or break up if you leave it whole. It works, but I much prefer other means of calcium for mine.

I feed my snails vitamin sticks with calcium. You can get them at kensfish.com. They love it

Back
Top Bottom