Breeding Tiger Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfriend

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am trying to breed my tiger barbs. I have put the female (who is fat) in a small 2-way breeder that floats around my 29 gal tank. She has lost some of her color but I was wondering if I should put the male in with her. He is acting a little jittery and I have treated the tank with Aquari-sol. I also have fed her flakes in this breeder and some of it is on the bottom. Should I be doing something different?
Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to AA, fishyfriend! :mrgreen:

The breeder is going to work the best for livebearers, but the barbs are egg scatterers so you will need them together in their own tank with perhaps marbles in the bottom so the eggs can float in between and not get eaten, but hopefully get fertilized in the process. Once the eggs have been dropped you remove the parents and keep the tank very well aerated and clean and hopefully you will get fry.

Best of luck!

Part of the the trick to this is to seperate the males and females. I always would then introduce them together (2 males and 1 female), in the morning. Usually I could watch the spawning occur and then remove them back to their original tank.

So does that mean that I put the male in with her?
I don't have an extra tank for them yet so I bought the breeder. She pretty fat now.

Back
Top Bottom