Breeding white cloud minnows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey there the following pics of the pond I am building it is not complete and the pavers that are layed are only the edge so far but will be layed the whole way around. The top black preformed pond is for the minnows and the bottom pond is for my goldfish. I did try to get a picture of the fry but they are really fast and small but will try again

Hey there there try are the pre formed and pond do need a good clean

Attachments

• image-2809272626.jpg
    image-2809272626.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1040894199.jpg
    image-1040894199.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image-276013087.jpg
    image-276013087.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 61
Looks pretty cool. 2 questions: what is your pond liner made of and how thick is it? Are your pavers made out of concrete?

Also what filtration are you going to use? Will rain be be able to overflow your ponds?

The paver are concrete, the liner is 5mm thick polyurethane (idk the spelling) with underlayment of 5mm thick pool liner and 6mm thick yoga mats, the filtration will be a DIY filter I made followed by a pond filter I brought from a local pet store. Plus the top pond with the minnows will have soil in it and a bunch of plants and the big pond will have a bunch of plants in the pond. As for overflow the top pond will over flow to the bottom pond which will have 10mm gap to the surface. And the pond area is mostly shelter from the common southerly rains we get in New Zealand

Ok so here are my concerns:

Concrete leaching into the pond raising ph and hardness. (if it's old and has been outside a long time then prob not a big concern).

White clouds overflowing into the lower pond and being eaten by the goldfish.

An easy way to get water out of the system (don't want it to overflow with rainstorms)

Your liner and all that sounds good.

It will be a while before any fish go in and I will be emptying it then refilling and testing all the water parameters. Also I will be putting rock work in so there will be no escape for them I am also going to use waterfall foam to block any gaps. One question how quick to minnows start breeding again because my males are displaying and it's only been 12 days

I can't see why they wouldn't be breeding again right now. I would imagine that once there is a new female ready the males will be ready again. I think you will be seeing babies produced all the time if you have several females. White clouds like to make babies. I think your idea of emptying the pond and filling it again is good. I was thinking about rain water seeping through the concrete pavers and making its way into the pond. If you used natural rock instead of the pavers it might be better than the concrete ones.

Oh by the way, I like your pond it's very nice. I hope you realize that I am not trying to be negative but rather just throwing ideas out at you.

I used the excess liner around the edging to build a lip which I put roof gutting with one winged cut off to stop water running into the pond

I did a 10 percent water change vey carefully and now I think I can see more free swimming fry don't know if it was the water change or the fact I spooked them with the gravel vac.

I never thought twice about doing water changes. I just do regular water changes the way I always do with no problems.

Hey there here are the fry at just over a month old

Attachments

• image-2172019952.jpg
    image-2172019952.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1716704263.jpg
    image-1716704263.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2477707563.jpg
    image-2477707563.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 77
Back