Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowlbt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So today the power went out while I was at work and my tank sat with no light heart or filtration for around 6 hours it cooled down from 28 to 20°c and I was stressing big time.

But to my surprise when I got everything back up and running I found 3 of my females were now holding eggs. .......

I am already getting plenty of babies from my electric yellows now my hongis and my mbamba bays are all holding could this have been triggered by the cold conditions???

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Perhaps. Some breeding responses are triggered by the start of the rainy season. An influx of new, cooler water. This is often simulated by doing a PWC using slightly cooler water. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Perhaps. Some breeding responses are triggered by the start of the rainy season. An influx of new, cooler water. This is often simulated by doing a PWC using slightly cooler water. Congrats!

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have purposely done that to get some of my fish to breed. Slight temperature decrease for a few days. Put a heater in water set aside. Do a water change and add warm water. Voila. They think it's spring and time to breed. :)

No worries about a 6 hour power outage, don't even need to break out the battery-powered air pump for that length of downtime. I'm surprised the temp dropped that quickly though, how big is the tank?

Its a 6ft around 260lts just a standard 6ft.
Well as far as I know it was only 6 hrs but it could have been longer as I didn't check it when I woke up for work as I wake up so early

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom