Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice

Thank you. :)

Brian, when's your gig with National Geographic start? They might need a fish & plant photographer for the upper Amazon. Pics and video look great! Is that Fissedens moss on the DW? Brian(OS)

ROFL haha .. thanks, OS. The moss on the DW is actually mini fissidens. I was lucky enough to get a hitchhiker of it and I slowly grew it out over the course of about a year. It only really took off when I tied it to this DW during this tank's first scape last fall.

I think the video needs some sort of wildlife documentary commentary in whispered tones though LOL

LOL... I'll consider that my next go at video. If only I had a Morgan Freeman voice.

Brin I've got to things to say to you this tank looks great I love the color and the layout and the photos you have taken are also amazing keep at it I believe being a aquarist goes hand in hand with being a photographer good luck with your class.

Thank you very much. It's nice having a mini eco-system we call our aquariums. Aside from our pets, it makes for a great source to take pictures of without having to go on a nature hike or to the zoo.. But I'll probably have to do that for my photo class.. sounds like fun.

Last "picture" update for a while. From the ashes of the past disaster comes the rise of the Phoenix!

Time for a mega picture update extravaganza! Getting a little trigger happy with the NX300. Still a work in progress. My settings are all crazy!

This will probably be my last picture update until the UG fully carpets in and the plants get trimmed.

Added the group of fauna... Ember Tetras (8 of them)! I'll probably head over to Petsmart on Friday for the dollar neon sale and get a bunch of those.

What do you guys think of a Gold Ram as a centerpiece fish? At first I was thinking of an Electric Blue, but the Gold might look cool with the Africana and the Embers?

12475470033_e9360de949_c.jpg

12475323275_b8961d1cca_c.jpg

==========

I had one tiny little stem of elatine triandra left that survived... I manged to grow it out just a bit. But after I put it in here, it just started taking off!

12475796234_5a498a7b23_c.jpg

==========

Check out the UG... it's sending runners like a good little plant! :)
12475470163_be608f232a_b.jpg

==========

Just wanted to see how my tank would look if I suspended the light and didn't obstruct the view from the top. The Eheim Skim 350 and C2 are keeping things nice and crystal!
12475795704_e848df6059_b.jpg

==========

What's powering it all... the Sat+ X2! A nice solid moderate light level in the right "full spectrum" does wonders and keeps algae at bay (w/ proper co2 and ferts of course).
12475469923_cf828a18f6_b.jpg

==========

And lastly, end the night with a nice cloud cover dynamic mode. :)
12475795604_d86c9970a0_c.jpg

==========

So yeah... no more updates until she's ready! Thanks for following everyone! Happy scaping! :dance:

Last edited:
Breath-tanking work Brian. You have some serious talent over there. Tank is beautiful

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0251 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tank looks great, brother! I think an EBR might stand out more against the substrate. You're making me want to get a decent camera with all these high quality photos! Darn you, Brian.... :)

Thanks, Joey! How's everything with you and the recovery? Hope all is well! Always good to hear from you, bro! (y)

Everything is great! I like that camera a lot! Great photos, bro. I'm thinking of changing things up and finally getting some wood from Tom Barr to do a scape like he does.

Absolutely stunning Brian.. You got the touch buddy! Congrats. OS.

Thanks, Brian. You got skills, too. Your rescape is coming together nicely. Always good to have a supportive community.
BTW, do you have any prime lenses for your Nikon?

The tank looks great, brother! I think an EBR might stand out more against the substrate. You're making me want to get a decent camera with all these high quality photos! Darn you, Brian.... :)

I guess if I go EBR, then this tank would be even more colorful. Oh why not. I think petsmart carries them now, much cheaper with a guarantee. I'd hate to buy one and it die two days later.. I think petsmart is around $15 to $17, whereas my LFS has them for $29. Lol

Anyways... I recommend getting an interchangeable lens camera. I was going to get a DSLR, but went with a mirrorless. You can take pics of your tanks and family -- especially when you go on your trips like camping or what not. Capture those moments! Lol

Wow, it looks fantastic even without the carpeted UG. I think an EBR would be a good choice (or even just a GBR). IMO darker colored fish would look better because they stand out from the light colored substrate- however, looking at your FTS, it looks like there is a shadowy area in the middle and under some of the stones. I think an EBR would love to hide out in those areas- so it would probably end up looking really good. Another option you could try is apistos- there are several colorful varieties. Cacatuoides are the hardiest, but aren't as colorful (other than their fiery red/orange fins). I have a few cacatuoides triple red and recommend them.

BTW Brian- I was wondering, when you control the 2 Sat+s, does one remote simultaneously control both?

Last edited:
Thanks, Max! Yeah I really like apistos and Rams, I think they have so much character. I'll take a look around and see what my LFS's have.

And yes... one remote can control both Sat+ lights.

So I went to Petsmart yesterday I grabbed 10 ($1) Neons and a couple of Otos. I took a little stroll by the plant section and found some goodies... They also had a pretty good looking tissue culture pack of Pogostemon Helferi with very minimal browning... still plenty of good viable material in here.

img_2836362_0_d915166e603df5260779cf710b410cfe.jpg

So yeah, if you guys head over to your own Petsmarts, there's the sale plus this $5 off $25 printable in-store coupon:
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/petsmart.com#print.5495717

Wow, $1? Nice! I wish my petsmart carried tissue cultured plants. I asked them why and they said that corporate headquarters controls what gets sent to them, so they can't even order it if they want. They just have dying swords and moss balls. :lol:

Plants kept like that are legit and come good in tanks when you get them home?
I saw them for the first time at our big chain store called pet barn here. First place I have seen dwarf baby tears and other carpeting plants in Sydney

Plants kept like that are legit and come good in tanks when you get them home?
I saw them for the first time at our big chain store called pet barn here. First place I have seen dwarf baby tears and other carpeting plants in Sydney

If they were from Aquarium industries their plant in bag packs are great. I turned three packs of 5 crypts into well over 25 individual plants each. Knowing they won't come with disease or a different variety of snail you don't want is nice too. I got some Pygmy Chain Sword from them too. All the plants i have bought in those bags have thrived when you clean the agar off and plant them. I enjoy seeing them grow from juvenile plants to full size too.

Back
Top Bottom