Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice update, glad to hear from you, and glad you are well.

Happy holidays and here's to better days that are soon to come!

ps. Yes, very TapaTalk-y :)

Last edited:
Making some progress... before & after pic... disaster death valley of toxic substrate and rotting fish carcasses on the left. Cleaned up and setup up at my new place in the right. Just waiting on one more bag of AS. Should arrive within two days.

I should be up and running by this weekend :)

img_2792108_0_f34b11d553f2a414af9a2858be12a87a.jpg

Haha... Thanks fellas!

Ah man, I just received my package from AFA today. I was pleasantly surprised how fast they shipped the AS. Unfortunately, they sent me 9L of Amazonia when my invoice clearly reflects Africana. I just emailed them so hopefully we can find a solution soon. Guess my re-scape will have to wait longer. :(

Brian and Bill.
Help me. Doing a substrate replacement soon. I've got Eco Complete fine grade. It's a high light, CO2, PPs Pro tank. I'll have about half iron hungry red plants in the new scape. Would putting laterite underneath the Eco be a good idea or is there another iron rich additive I could use that is better? Brian.

I'll trade you amazonia for that africana, Brian :)

Brian and Bill.
Help me. Doing a substrate replacement soon. I've got Eco Complete fine grade. It's a high light, CO2, PPs Pro tank. I'll have about half iron hungry red plants in the new scape. Would putting laterite underneath the Eco be a good idea or is there another iron rich additive I could use that is better? Brian.

Saf-t-sorb (montmorillonite clay) is a great source of iron. Amazonia includes this too...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe you should just use the Amazonia... ;)

We'll see how AFA's customer service handles their mistake and we'll go from there. I had my mind set on Africana.

LOL, I agree with Bill!

Glad to see you back :)

Thank you, missy!

I'll trade you amazonia for that africana, Brian :)

Thanks for the offer... But we'll go with the above response to Bill for now. As it stands, I have two tanks with black/brown substrate... I think the reddish/brown is appropriate for the other two for the sake of variety.

Brian and Bill.

That's a good question. I've seen EC and Floramax advertised as iron rich and that first layer laterite isn't necessary. But being that we're always supplementing with iron rich root tabs, what would be the harm in using the laterite instead. Perhaps that might eliminate the need for iron root tabs for quite sometime.

Yeah thanks, I was thinking along the line of putting laterite down on the very bottom as it can't hurt and its fairly cheap. I was going to go with dirt but I chickened out. Cluck cluck.

Yeah thanks, I was thinking along the line of putting laterite down on the very bottom as it can't hurt and its fairly cheap. I was going to go with dirt but I chickened out. Cluck cluck.

Why not just take the ultimate plunge and go aquasoil? When I first started the Planted tank hobby, I'll admit, I was hating on it and didn't want to shell out for dirt... that is until I tried it. You know the saying, don't knock it until you try it? Lol.. anyways, the difference is pretty evident... plants just love the stuff!

So now with the aqua soil dilemma... Okay, everything is cool now. I just got off the phone with AFA. Instead of sending the Amazonia back and wasting shipping cost ($16), I'm going to keep it at its cost minus shipping (so I paid $14 more here). Not bad for a 9L bag of AS. They're sending me Africana today at no extra cost... I opted to upgrade to 'powder type' for an additional $12. So all in all, I think AFA handled it well and fairly. I think the powder type should look nicer.

Back
Top Bottom