Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's up Everyone... got my tank finally setup again. It almost looks like the original scape with a few changes. I'm not too sure if I like it or if I liked the old version better. It will be easier to tell when the plants fill in a bit...LOL Oh well, it's done (at least until I move again).

Anyway... So the first layer I used Africana regular and topped it off with Africana Powder Type. This is my first time using the Powder version of any AS, and I have to say that I really like how clean it looks. It looks so smooth like sand and it's easier to plant in. I just hope that it doesn't get too unsightly when detritus accumulates on it. The larger granules were pretty easy to siphon without sucking up any substrate.

Here's a close-up of the two substrates compared to one another.
12077951555_21eb735b0a_c.jpg

Well here's my go at my rescape. I'll admit, I'm a little impatient and not as good as my GF with stone placement. I was heavily debating (well for an hour) whether I wanted the left larger stone to go the same direction as the others, or the opposite way. I chose the latter and now I'm questioning that decision! Oh well... I'm not changing it!

12078594406_eab01f9da0_o.jpg

As for the SunSun surface skimmer I was using, I decided to re-purpose that in my 6g tank for now. I opted to buy an Eheim Skim 350 because it was on sale at Dr. Fosters. I also wanted to fulfill my curiosity about it since it didn't cost that much. I'll wait and see if the my plants will grow to hide it enough to my liking. As of right now, it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. Performance-wise, it works well as the surface look crystal clear. However, it burbs a lot of bubbles and is occasionally noisy. I'm going to experiment with it a little more. I might go back to the SunSun if I start to hate it.
12077952095_5a5a2c0580_b.jpg

Here's the layout plan:
12078265253_87a8d1b25f_b.jpg

And some pics after planting... I'm planning on a super nice UG carpet! :)
12078594386_5b8220e111_o.jpg

12078265263_54507b92a1_h.jpg

For now, I set the Sat+ lights up with a Single Ramp Timer and a conventional timer. I'll probably switch over to the Ramp Timer Pro this weekend when I have more time to fiddle with setting up a good program/schedule for it.

img_2800724_6_22b4310b38ad9c9ce563aaade9ca8fee.jpg

Thanks for following and for any critiques/comments. :proud:

Last edited:
Hey Brian, glad you're getting back to normal. The new scape looks great. Can't wait to see it fill in. I like the grooved texture in the rocks. Funny that in my new scape I'm about to do, I'm going with Fissidens fontanis on two spots on the DW with R. Macrandra behind it also. OS.

Thanks Brian! When this UG grows out, I'll send you some my friend :)

With the fissidens and R. Macrandra background, you know the saying... Great minds think alike.

Looks like a nice comeback scape :)
Well played sir!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

LOL Thanks Brian, I wish I had your artistic eye. I have the picture in my mind but what my hands actually make is something else. I'll make a rescape thread with lots of pictures as I do it. Hopefully I'll have the plant order in tomorrow and start rescape Thurs.
It's going to be very similar to layout #75 on the Tropica.com website. Black Eco fine, black slate rock and Malaysian DW.

Looking very nice, Brian. Really looking forward to seeing that UG carpet grow in! Love that mini-fissidens too.

Looks like a nice comeback scape :)
Well played sir!

Thanks, Mike! Are you going to keep your threads in AA updated still?

LOL Thanks Brian, I wish I had your artistic eye. I have the picture in my mind but what my hands actually make is something else. I'll make a rescape thread with lots of pictures as I do it. Hopefully I'll have the plant order in tomorrow and start rescape Thurs.
It's going to be very similar to layout #75 on the Tropica.com website. Black Eco fine, black slate rock and Malaysian DW.

OS, I think layout #75 is beautiful! I can't wait to get word that you started this venture. I'll be following for sure! Will you be using HC as the foreground carpet?

Looking very nice, Brian. Really looking forward to seeing that UG carpet grow in! Love that mini-fissidens too.

Thank you very much! I can't wait to see how this looks grown in and trimmed the way I like it. The mini-fiss was a luck-of-the-draw acquisition. It hitch hiked on some other plants I got. It was so tiny but I patiently grew it out and then attached it to this DW. It was practically brown and dead when I tied it on... then one day, it acclimated and grew out healthy and crazy! :dance:

Latout #75

OS, I think layout #75 is beautiful! I can't wait to get word that you started this venture. I'll be following for sure! Will you be using HC as the foreground carpet?
:dance:[/QUOTE]

Hi Brian,
I'm going to try GLOSSOSTIGMA ELATINOIDES as the carpet with sprigs of Crypt parva placed here and there for accent. Instead of giant hairgrass in the right end, I'm putting a single Echinodorus Vesuvius. Any tips about growing the GE will be greatly appreciated. I have some black slate rock I'm going to embed low in the Eco fine to border out sections from creeping runners getting where I don't want them. They'll be barely visible once all is grown in.
Later, Brian.

I've never tried GE... but I'd imagine it shouldn't be any more difficult than let's say, HC. So I think you have all the areas covered in terms of lights, ferts, etc. You'll be good to go...I have faith in you. You have a sound plan. Can't wait :)

The mini-fiss was a luck-of-the-draw acquisition. It hitch hiked on some other plants I got. It was so tiny but I patiently grew it out and then attached it to this DW. It was practically brown and dead when I tied it on... then one day, it acclimated and grew out healthy and crazy! :dance:

What a nice hitchhiker! I guess for every snail, hydra, disease, or type of algae you could potentially acquire there's also a tiny chance of obtaining a rare moss! And here I was thinking you had forked over the $25+ on TPT for half a golfball or so...

What a nice hitchhiker! I guess for every snail, hydra, disease, or type of algae you could potentially acquire there's also a tiny chance of obtaining a rare moss! And here I was thinking you had forked over the $25+ on TPT for half a golfball or so...

Yes, very true... I've had all those negative hitchhikers and it's nice to get something positive for once.

Quick YouTube video the day after it was planted. I experienced almost no cloudiness. The fluval c2 + eheim skim350 are working like a champ to keep all levels of the water crystal. :)

Last edited:
Just came aboard this thread and your progress (both before and after). Simply amazing!!!! You guys are really talented. If I continue to watch tanks like these, pretty soon my fish will become only accessories to my plants

That's a nice start Brian. The hardscape is nicely structured and well chosen. Would love any or all of those stones.

Glad to see you have the tank running again. It's going to look great as it grows in.

Brian's "Special Blend" substrate! LOL

Can you guess what substrate is what? Left versus Right?

(hint: click on the picture for the answer... don't cheat! guess first!)

Lol for sure on the left it's fluval substrate, I have the same here... For the right one I can't guess...

Lol for sure on the left it's fluval substrate, I have the same here... For the right one I can't guess...

Haha... if you click on the image and following the link (rather than view in gallery), it should "reveal" the substrates. This is assuming you're using the app on a mobile device (android in my case).

Just came aboard this thread and your progress (both before and after). Simply amazing!!!! You guys are really talented. If I continue to watch tanks like these, pretty soon my fish will become only accessories to my plants

Haha... that's funny you mention that... it has pretty much come to this. I started out fish-focused, now it's plants. The fish help the plants. This conversion of thought process for me has actually helped me get over my old habit of overstocking my tank. I appreciate balance more so now.

Stunning tank! As your's always are my friend. The rock work is just the coolest I've seen.
OS.

Much appreciated
, as always, OS!

That's a nice start Brian. The hardscape is nicely structured and well chosen. Would love any or all of those stones.

Glad to see you have the tank running again. It's going to look great as it grows in.

Thank you for your critique. I got the Ohko stones from Aqua Forest Aquariums. They're a little spendy but they are so unique and full of character, it's hard to pass up (for me at least).

And yup, can't wait to see this grow in.

Back
Top Bottom