Bright Red Gills and Flashing, Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scalesojustice

Aquarium Advice Activist
so, my two juvie blood parrots have recovered from the ill conceived salt treatment.

now, upon close inspection, it is clear that their gills are bright red. they also flash like mad sometimes itching their gills.

any idea what this could be? and what i can do? i've tried to look up what disease this could be but they don't show any other signs of illness.

my parameters haven't changed. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, less than 10 nitrate. temp at 79 degrees. they have never been through a cycle or anything like that.

please help, i want to fix my little guys. TIA

It could be gill flukes or ich or some other parasite. Another possibility is some form of contamination causing the irritation. Meds for gill flukes and extra pwc would be my suggestion.

thanks, i'll check it out. it's hard to tell if their gills are really read or if they are just starting to turn orange/red.

however, i had to euthanise my eel today. he has had redish gills since i got him and he looked horrible today, it was pretty sad. he was really suffering. now i'm terrified that the parrots will meet the same fate. but they aren't flashing as much and their behavior is normal.

i'll try the gill flukes meds. and i'm keeping up on my pwc.

Back
Top Bottom