Bristlenose Behavior???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CcJ23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had 2 brislenose plecos for about a month and a half ago and I just noticed them squabaling. I original thought I had 2 females but I noticed one had very tiny bristles. The bristles have since grown a little but they are still both small. The female is slightly larger than the male and she is not quite 2.5 inches yet. Is this breeding behavior? I don't have any driftwood or caves in the tank yet. Should I? Do you think this was just a territorial bout? I really don't think they are big enough to be breeding yet. Maybe it is just a mock breeding behavior, I'm kind of stuck.

BNPs tend to be territorial so when they don't have hiding spots and can see each other, well, that happens. Not sure about mating though as it doesn't sound like they've matured enough yet for that. Make sure to get driftwood and more hiding spots. Also just wondering, tank size?

I've got 2 bnp's in a 40b and the male is always chasing the female away from his favorite piece of dw, algae waffers and other foods. Mine are both still juvies to so i always assumed it was their nature.

They are in a 55 gallon. I plan to get driftwood soon, it's just so expensive in stores around here! Where do you suggest I get it online?

Aquabid.com is a good place to look also, or eBay.

Back
Top Bottom