Bristlenose pleco breeding help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning my first bristlenose breeding tank. I have a 40 gallon long which I plan to divide into 2 20 gallon tanks with dimensions of 24x12x16 approx. In one tank I'm going to have lots of caves, PVC pipes, wood etc in which the breeding can take place. My main question is whether I should remove the female after spawning and keep her in the second tank. If she can be kept in the same tank as the male and fry then I will use the other as a second breeding tank. Also, what should I feed the fry and what tricks can I use to encourage breeding? Are other ancistrus and hypancistrus harder to breed than normal bristlenose?

Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

You don't need to divide the tank or move the female. The male will choose a "cave", and when the female/s are ready they'll lay their eggs then go on their way. The male will tend the eggs and wigglers until they wander off on their own, adults won't bother fry. I feed my BN (and all other fish) NLS .5mm Grow or 1mm Cichlid pellets as a staple diet. Occasionally spirulina flake or french cut canned green beans.
Hypancistrus and other species grow/mature more slowly than Ancistrus. Not so much more difficult to breed given proper care, but not generally as fast or prolific IME.

Thanks a lot. I may try super red ancistrus in the second tank :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom