Broccoli for Fancy Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryukins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently I fed my gold fish broccoli for the first time and afterwards I noticed that my water has been a little cloudy. There might have been a few larger pieces that the fish were not able to eat and I left in the tank (bad I know).

Will the water clear up on its own? I should have adequate filtration in the tank, as I am using an Eheim 2217 in a 38 gallon. I also have an air stone for aeration but I keep the top closed to prevent water evaporation and fish jumping out.

I read that cloudy water could be due to lack of oxygen in the tank. Could this be the reason? How can I tell if there is sufficient aeration in my tank?

Definitely remove the uneaten broccoli after 12 or 24hrs- it will get slimy & nasty. A few extra water changes should clear your tank up unless theres something else going on. It sounds like you have sufficient aeration but it never hurts to add some more- i run powerheads in addition to bubble wands to keep everything well aerated (probably a bit of overkill though!) for my goldies. :)

Definitely remove the uneaten broccoli after 12 or 24hrs- it will get slimy & nasty. A few extra water changes should clear your tank up unless theres something else going on. It sounds like you have sufficient aeration but it never hurts to add some more- i run powerheads in addition to bubble wands to keep everything well aerated (probably a bit of overkill though!) for my goldies. :)
+1. Do some water changes and it should clear up.

I did a 50% wc a few hours ago. Now it has cleared up!

But I wonder why the filter wasn't able to clear it up without the wc.

Back
Top Bottom