Broken heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmcn5

Aquarium Advice Regular
So for some reason my heater seems to be broken and the water temp in my 40 gallon tank inhabited mostly by tetras and one bristlenosed pleco. With the storm on east coast rolling in I might not get to pet store for a couple of days. Will my tank be ok at 68 degrees for a couple of days, or should I swap out some of the colder water with new, warm water?

It's my understanding that the pleco would be fine for 68 for a while. The tetras, only for a short while. They don't do well under 72 degrees F. If it was just a few hours you might not have a problem. No promises tho

Thanks for the reply. I'm on the east coast and we're getting hit with a snow storm that may go through tomorrow. I might not get to the pet store until Tuesday. I think I'm going to go ahead and swap out some of the colder water with some warmer water to get the temp up until I can get a replacement. A pain, but I've had these fish for a while, so...

If the fish are all healthy they'll be just fine. I wouldn't do anything drastic. Changes in light cycle and surroundings may stress them out. If there is anything you can do to warm them up a bit, do it. Otherwise feed them and keep them calm. I've had my discuss tank heaters fail numerous times and I'm talking an 85° tank falling to 70 over night. Never lost one.

Back
Top Bottom