Brown Algae /Diatoms/ hi PH/ Lava Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm posting with the hope that this info helps someone researching Brown Algae / Diatoms.

I spent 2 weeks reading everything I could on diatoms b/c my big tank had a reoccurring problem with them. None of the articles ever mentioned Lava Rock.

I tried phosguard, I changed fish foods, I fed way less, I removed and cleaned thing outside the tank, I 50% PWC every 4 days. I added Purigen.

Finally, Andy Sager, told me (related to a different issues...including the pH of 8.2) to become a Sherlock Holmes and figure it out.

I stopped reading and started observing and thinking on my own.

The brown algae always started on and by the rhizome plants attached to the lava rock.

I looked up lava rock and found it is loaded with silica. DA!!!! (** bangs head on wall**) I removed all the lava rocks, detached and saved the plants.

Today, 24 hrs later, no new brown algae and 1st time ever pH 7.4 ( same as our tap water). All my aquariums always read 8.2, but all my aquariums had that same lava rock in them. ( I'll be removing all the lava rock from them this week, too)

Also, since lava rock has a huge surface area, I realized that for the next week, it is going to be daily water testing, as it is unknown how much beneficial bacteria that I removed when I removed them.

Bottom line: If you have stubborn brown algae ... Look for where the phosphates or silicates are coming from. Where does it start in your tank? And, remove that object. In my case, remove all lava rock.

I'm sooo happy!!! And, many thanks to Andy Sager!!!!

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Is there a way to clean the lava rock or remove the silica? I have a lava rock as well and my entire tank was covered in brown/green algae. I actually purchased a pleco to deal with it and it helped tremendously. But idealy, I would like to keep my lava rock, is there any remedy for this?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here is my tank

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1410655858545.jpg
    1410655858545.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 260
The answer is yes and no.

Lava rock is high in silica. So, that the no part. Not all lava rock is the same. Some are higher in silica than others.

Sand has silica, too. Apparently, play sand and sandblasting sand are very high. Marketed aquarium sand should be lower in silica.

Phosguard, replaced every 4 days, removes phosphates & silica. It is not rechargeable like Purigen.

I don't think your brown algae is real bad. I don't see big patches on the glass and I can still see the texture of your driftwood.

What is your gravel? Your brown algae is appearing mostly on the gravel.

I'd suggest removing and cleaning everything including the driftwood. Buy a scrub brush at dollar store and scrub everything in super hot water. Throw out affected gravel b/c it seems that is where yours starts or concentrates.

Then, I'd buy phosguard and try a pouch of it and see what happens. Put the phosguard after the biofilter b/c the good bacteria need a little bit of phosphate to grow & survive.

The directions say Phosguard has to be rinsed b4 putting it in the filter.

After the complete cleaning of everything watch where the brown algae starts and remove whatever that is in your tank.

Rock wise, in the photo, the one on the far left seems to get more at it's base than your other rocks. You might want to temporarily remove that one and see what happens.

Also, power head with 360 deflector should help b/c brown algae is easily removed and put back in water column to be removed by the Phosguard.

From readings, a UV sanitizer also helps kill the brown algae. I got disgusted with mine b/c I was getting brown algae on the top of the outlet.

Lighting won't affect brown algae. They can live in the dark b/c they are diatoms and not real algae.

Good luck!!! I know how discouraging it is to clean everything. Have the tank all beautiful and then wake up and find the brown algae back again.

Just completely clean everything and look for where it starts in your tank. Then, try removing whatever that is and hope....

What is your pH? Tap vs aquarium

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Back
Top Bottom