Brown algae on Christmas moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boffer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi just join today, i got i think is Brown algae, on my Christmas moss, i dont see any on my other plants, rocks, or glas, only the moss. its 5 weeks since I started it up my aqarium, and it is my first.
Dont want to put chemicals in it, because I don't know if it's unhealthy for me.

My Spec :
350 liter
No fish, ore anything else living, yet
No co2
Light 6 hours
I fertilize half what is recommended
No chemicals.
Filter 9 kg Biohome ultimate, 2 weeks in the bacteria grows

Question:
How do i get rid of it, without chemicals?

Attachments

• IMG_20191103_213617.jpg
    IMG_20191103_213617.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20191103_213631.jpg
    IMG_20191103_213631.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20191103_213648.jpg
    IMG_20191103_213648.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 323
The Biohome Ultimate sounds like a pretty exciting new product. Never heard of it before now (in USA).

The combination of the enhanced Media plus the Bio Balls which says it releases bacteria starter in 2-3 weeks in the filter, sound like it might be the combination of bacteria started and maybe the media is with "added trace minerals" not sure if it means also ammonia to feed the new bacteria.

Normally the BB need ammonia as food to process to grow, colonize, reproduce and make more.

A couple articles about the normal processes and solid basic info on aquarium keeping too

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

As for the blemishes / algae. Try reducing the time the light is on, move the moss a little bit lower or light highter. Not sure about the light's power or time it is on (or how close).

You can snip off the blemished part.

Moss doesn't need super bright light. And grows well in dim light. You can add some floating stem plants as well to help shade the moss.

Some Diatoms brownish dusty algae looking stuff, are common during the initial set up stages of the tank maturing. It feeds off of the dust of the silica, and isn't actually algae (if it IS Diatoms popping up).

A bleached looking spot looks like it could have been a little too much light.

Agree with Autumn about the less light, I also find my moss prefers it cool.
I bought some Christmas moss at an auction, so it was bagged with only a little water and then forgot it in the bottom of a cooler for 10 days. When I found it it was still bright green but I still expected it to fall apart and die once it was put into a tank. Dropped it into the quarantine tank with my Amanos so that any *dead* plant would be eaten leaving only *good* plant stuff. Its going strong a week later.

The Biohome Ultimate sounds like a pretty exciting new product. Never heard of it before now (in USA).

The combination of the enhanced Media plus the Bio Balls which says it releases bacteria starter in 2-3 weeks in the filter, sound like it might be the combination of bacteria started and maybe the media is with "added trace minerals" not sure if it means also ammonia to feed the new bacteria.

Normally the BB need ammonia as food to process to grow, colonize, reproduce and make more.

A couple articles about the normal processes and solid basic info on aquarium keeping too

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the answer, I contacted the shop that I bought it from, and he said it has a lunch box for the bacteria to eat from, so no need for ammonia, but im going to test it out if it is cycling, by putting fish food in the water.

As for the blemishes / algae. Try reducing the time the light is on, move the moss a little bit lower or light highter. Not sure about the light's power or time it is on (or how close).

You can snip off the blemished part.

Moss doesn't need super bright light. And grows well in dim light. You can add some floating stem plants as well to help shade the moss.

Some Diatoms brownish dusty algae looking stuff, are common during the initial set up stages of the tank maturing. It feeds off of the dust of the silica, and isn't actually algae (if it IS Diatoms popping up).

A bleached looking spot looks like it could have been a little too much light.

Okay i will try to put it down from 6 to 5 hours, and se if it helps.

Agree with Autumn about the less light, I also find my moss prefers it cool.
I bought some Christmas moss at an auction, so it was bagged with only a little water and then forgot it in the bottom of a cooler for 10 days. When I found it it was still bright green but I still expected it to fall apart and die once it was put into a tank. Dropped it into the quarantine tank with my Amanos so that any *dead* plant would be eaten leaving only *good* plant stuff. Its going strong a week later.

Thanks for the answer, it's a tough plant :O

My drift wood is going crazy also, look at it, thats after 5 days, going to clean it tomorrow, but have had it in a month, still going strong, I have read that it will go away after five times cleaning, it will be my 5 time now...

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_122439.jpg
    IMG_20191107_122439.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 98
My drift wood is going crazy also, look at it, thats after 5 days, going to clean it tomorrow, but have had it in a month, still going strong, I have read that it will go away after five times cleaning, it will be my 5 time now...

I wouldn’t bother cleaning it. Just leave it and it will go away when it’s ready.

Back
Top Bottom